Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been sitting at my local Jeep dealer and the only Jeep available within 500 miles that is Commando Green has everything I want EXCEPT the LSD.

They are offering it at an amazing price, below TL 2%. How important is LSD? This will be a 90% daily driver, but I plan on some moderate wheeling and taking my son on Jeep Jamborees. No Rubicon action, just middle of the road stuff. Would the lack of LSD severely effect the wheelability, or is it no big deal?

I do not want to pay to add a locker, even though I know they are great. Anyone else regret not getting the limited slip? I am SOOOOOOOO ready to pull the trigger, but do not want to make a stupid mistake I will later regret.

Please share your wisdom!

:confused:

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Factory limited slips are known for wearing out over time. IMO always best to get a Jeep with a open rear axle then add a aftermarket LS or locker.

So in the end you will be better off. PULL THE TRIGGER!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
So, I have been sitting at my local Jeep dealer and the only Jeep available within 500 miles that is Commando Green has everything I want EXCEPT the LSD.

They are offering it at an amazing price, below TL 2%. How important is LSD? This will be a 90% daily driver, but I plan on some moderate wheeling and taking my son on Jeep Jamborees. No Rubicon action, just middle of the road stuff. Would the lack of LSD severely effect the wheelability, or is it no big deal?

I do not want to pay to add a locker, even though I know they are great. Anyone else regret not getting the limited slip? I am SOOOOOOOO ready to pull the trigger, but do not want to make a stupid mistake I will later regret.

Please share your wisdom!

:confused:
It was a deal killer for me....but I live in Chicago...so it is a must for the winter. However...Wranglers do have BLD which helps.

More importantly...if you have TL, 2% below invoice isn't amazing...it is pretty average. Plus, you can always order. Don't let the dealer tell you otherwise.

Just order one and ask for 3% below invoice.

Tell them "I know your hold back is 3% of invoice, and I know you are rebated 2% of invoice when I use an Affiliate Rebate program (like TL).....so cut the BS and order my Jeep the way I want it".

(You can get more than 3% below...I'm just saying.....)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Why are there 79 threads on this?

The factory LSD, known as "Trak-Loc" or "Trash-Loc", is a $300 waste of money. It barely works, then the clutches wear out over time. It adds complexity to the axle. It require special additive with fluid changes. And it's useless in rough terrain.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
i decided to order without LSD after reading a lot of reviews on it. I didn't want the headache of more parts to replace. it's bad enough as is!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
These are getting to be like wave threads.

Is it worth having? Yes. Is it a deal breaker? No. Is it worth ordering it how you want it? Probably. Yes the clutches will wear out. They are covered under the powertrain warranty for 5 years/100k miles. For those that say they aren't covered because they are clutches, go read the warranty manual before commenting. The BLD is a reactive system that doesn't do it's job that well once it decides to try. If you expect to drive on slick roads in the winter I would not be without an LSD. You can add an aftermarket unit for under $1000 installed that will perform better, but it won't be covered under warranty. For $300, the factory LSD is one of the best bargains on the option sheet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The price they are offering is actually more like 4% below invoice, hence my desire to make a reasonably quick decision.

Sounds like the LSD isn't worth holding this up for. That being said, should I be concerned about anything if I wanted to add an ARB locker to the rear in the future? Does that have a habit of messing anything up with the drivetrain.

Sorry if this has been covered before. Just remember back to how damn excited you were when you finally got within inches of making the commitment. That's me right now and I really appreciate the valuable insight many of you provide here.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
For what you indicated your usage will be you should be just fine as equipped. It shouldn't be a deal breaker. Ultimately, you can place an order "exactly" how you want it. I did and there is something to say about sitting down and deciding how you want "your" JK built.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in the northwest, near Seattle. We occassionally get some snow and I drive up to the mountains to ski a few times each year. Is driving on snowy roads a real problem without the LSD or if you are in 4 high, does that sovle the traction problem?

I have owned several 4x4's in the past, but never paid attention if they had LSD differentials or not and they all made it around in the snow no problem. Ice, however is a different story!

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
The price they are offering is actually more like 4% below invoice, hence my desire to make a reasonably quick decision.

Sounds like the LSD isn't worth holding this up for. That being said, should I be concerned about anything if I wanted to add an ARB locker to the rear in the future? Does that have a habit of messing anything up with the drivetrain.

Sorry if this has been covered before. Just remember back to how damn excited you were when you finally got within inches of making the commitment. That's me right now and I really appreciate the valuable insight many of you provide here.
Lockers and LS's have no negative effect on any drivetrain components. Especailly selectable lockers

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I'm sorry...
But if I lived near Seattle (constant wet roads), and had the choice of the exact same vehicles...one without LSD and that would take 6 weeks and cost $300 more with LSD, there is no freaking way I would take non LSD vehicle. (Not unless I planned on adding an Eaton or something at a later date).

Maybe if I were in Arizona....but not the Pacific Northwest.
No freaking way...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a LSD on my 01 Jeep GC and it worked good, I liked it, I don't have LSD on my 12 JK and the BLD works good also. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I live in a place that gets plenty of ice and snow and I'd get it without the LSD. In fact, I just did buy one.

If you find you really need to add it later you can. And you can get a far superior LSD (or locker) to the factory trash-lock.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Eaton/Detroit TrueTrac LS FTW

ARB if you decide you need a trail usage only locker instead

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I'm sorry...
But if I lived near Seattle (constant wet roads), and had the choice of the exact same vehicles...one without LSD and that would take 6 weeks and cost $300 more with LSD, there is no freaking way I would take non LSD vehicle. (Not unless I planned on adding an Eaton or something at a later date).

Maybe if I were in Arizona....but not the Pacific Northwest.
No freaking way...
what difference is an LSD going to make with wet roads? I don't spin tires in the rain, and trust me it rains where i live. unless you like drifting or doing burnouts, an LSD is pointless in a mall crawler wrangler. there is absolutely no advantage. traction in wet is a problem when you're at speed, which is totally down to your tires, handling, and braking characteristics. Not how you put power to the pavement.

snow and ice, your case is solid.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
what difference is an LSD going to make with wet roads? I don't spin tires in the rain, and trust me it rains where i live. unless you like drifting or doing burnouts, an LSD is pointless in a mall crawler wrangler. there is absolutely no advantage. traction in wet is a problem when you're at speed, which is totally down to your tires, handling, and braking characteristics. Not how you put power to the pavement.

snow and ice, your case is solid.
What?
LSD is pointless in a mall crawler?

The crap Goodyear street tires on my Libby pretty much spin in the rain every time at a stop sign/stop light and take a right turn from a standstill heading up hill.

I'm not talking about crusing in a straightline on the freeway in the rain.

I'm talking about sitting in the a left turning lane and trying to take a left through busy traffic in the rain. Or trying to take a right turn and merge with fast moving traffic at a stop light. (If you are in a city that allow you to turn right on red).

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
what difference is an LSD going to make with wet roads?
If you're trying to get moving uphill on a wet road it can make all the difference. The intersection by my house is no cake walk to get through when the road is wet if you've only got one tire working for you.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
How about a general suggestion: if any Jeep you find on the lot is missing something you think you want, you should consider waiting for another one or ordering. Doesn't matter if it's LSD, auto air, leather, 430N...whatever it is, if you want it, wait for it. Otherwise, you're always going to say "I wish this one had...."

These guys will argue the pros/cons of LSD for days. In the end, it's your Jeep that you've gotta pay for and be happy with. You should at least get what you want regardless of what anyone else says.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you expect to drive on slick roads in the winter I would not be without an LSD.
Oh come on now. You telling me that our Jeeps are worthless in snow without LSD? Seriously? This thing is a mild help at best and no reason to fret over not buying a Jeep. Any Jeep with BLD will eat through the snow like a fat kid eats cake.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts