Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to the forum. New to jeep world. I have a 2005 LJ. I am seeing JL forums. I didn't even know there was a JL. Is that what the JK became? Do the LJ owners just hang out with the TJ owners?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yep, you're already in the LJ forum... and the sahara forum and the rubicon forum etc....
What can we do for ya?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is LJ not an actual designation from Jeep? Just a slang designation? And what is the JL? Just trying to learn the designations so i can hang with the cool kids

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,900 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
261 Posts
LJ is unofficial for a TJU.
I believe officially it was referred to as LWB(longer wheelbase).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Since we are trying to use the correct nomenclature,

LJ is slang for "long jeep." The "LJ" on the metal tag adjacent to the grill is not a model designation.

The manufacturer's official model name for the 2004-2006 long wheel base jeep is "Wrangler Unlimited" in the U.S. and most foreign countries but "TJ Unlimited" in Canada.

The reason for "TJ" rather than "Wrangler" in Canada is that throughout the 1997-2006 production run Raleigh Industries of Canada (bicycles) owned all rights to the name "Wrangler" in Canada with respect to vehicles.

According to the Canadian trademark database, Chrysler acquired the rights to use the name "Wrangler" in Canada sometime in 2006, at the very end of the TJ production run but just in time for all JK's worldwide to be called Wranglers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would say that Bill is entitled to a mic drop after that. At any rate, it seems to me that they should bring back the LJ. I've always thought it was just right. Slightly longer than standard but not too long like the four door unlimited of today. I also feel like jeeps got awful plastic-ee after the TJ. Starting with the one piece plastic fender. I always wished Ford had purchased Jeep rather than Chrysler. Imagine how much better they're build quality could have been. I've always loved jeeps but loathed Chrysler's products. Their love affair with cheap disposable components is sickening. Of course, if Ford built the Jeep it would cost ten Grand more though, and if Chevy built jeeps they would sit three inches off the ground and be a pavement princess.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
No Hemi if Ford or GM had purchased AMC. Of course technically, Chrysler purchased AMC but the only real assets were the production facilities and Jeep.

As to the plastic fenders, they do have their advantage. A friend of mine is a mail carrier and uses a RHD JKU. On day he caught the right front fender on a mailbox post and pulled off the fender. He tossed it in the back and finished his run. Stopped by a friend who had a body shop and asked him what to do. His friend got some of the plastic clips and put the fender back on . That was several years ago and it's still on.

If you don't like the black, you can chose the option of having them body color.

The last Jeep without plastic fenders or flares was the narrow wheelbase early CJ5, probably sometime in the early 60's. I believe the flares came in about the same time as side marker lights which was on the '68 models of almost all vehicles. Later CJ5s with the wider wheelbase started the plastic flares which carried through the YJ and TJ and the rear of the JK/JKU and JL/JLU.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts