Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for my TJ, I have had to confine my search to only the AUTOMATIC trannies, because my wife wanted to drive the jeep every once in a while. And, she does not know how to drive a standard, nor does she ever want to learn.

After discovering how stiff the suspensions are (compared to her Ford Escape), and the BLIND SPOTS (she's 5 foot 1), she has decided that she will RIDE in whatever jeep I purchase, but she does not want to DRIVE it. I can now consider standard trannies, as well.

There are a whole lot more standard TJs than there are automatic TJs. So, this just opened up so many more possibilities.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Congrats man, my girl doesn't like standard either she can do it kinda but doesn't like it lol! I have a stick and love it!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Odd, must be a TX thing. For some ungodly reason CO is flooded with autos and a surprisingly large number of 2WD on the used lots. I didn't even know they made a 2WD version.

Toss those factors in along with finding a "LJ" - it's a hunt for a unicorn.

Good luck in finding a good one!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know they made a 2WD version, either.
But, I suppose that would work for the ones that want to be able to cruise around in a great, very versatile vehicle, knowing that they are never going to leave the pavement.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My wife thinks she can drive a standard as well as me... :whistling:

I actually prefer the stick shift over the auto unless I am commuting and stuck in stop-and-go traffic, only then do I ever long for the auto!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... I actually prefer the stick shift over the auto unless I am commuting and stuck in stop-and-go traffic, only then do I ever long for the auto!
That's my concern...
I drive in rush hour traffic, morning & evening, 5 days a week.
If I get a stick, I'll be riding that clutch, to and from work every day.
I plan on making my TJ my daily driver.

Other than that, I like driving a standard.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I prefer auto and purchased my Sahara that way.
213K miles and the 3sp auto is still problem-free.
I look at it this way... I spend a considerable amount of time in remote areas (mining, flyfishing, whatever). If I break/disable an arm or a leg in the backcountry I can likely still manage to drive for help with the auto and it does well offroad. In that scenario a standard would be more challenging.
It's always best to have someone along of course but I don't have that option very often.
For me it's a safety feature, potential lifesaver.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Mine is a DD as well and I live and work in/around the St Louis area. While not the worst traffic I've ever been in, Seattle and Atlanta are and I've had standards in both and lived to tell the tale! As much as a pain as it can be, when you get off-road a standard is worth its weight in gold (IMHO)!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Now you can DRIVE your vehicle instead of GUIDE your vehicle :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts