Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls, so I've been doing a lot of upgrade and maintenance to my 93 4.0 The first part of February I put a new rear main seal ,oil pump, pick up tube, starter and oil pan gasket on her. Had a great oil pressure ran fine. She has 175,000 miles. I was getting a lot of noise from the timing chain and I noticed that it was loose when I did the oil pan. So me and my buddy did a timing chain job. Replace the chain the gears and the seal. ( the chain was loooose)we lined up timing marks and did everything properly I believe. When I test drove it around the block it smoked white for about half a block it kind of smelled chemically. The smoke stopped and it ran fine. I drove 12 miles to my house. About halfway home I started hearing a tick. Upon inspection it sounded like it was coming from the lifters. I pulled the oil fill Cap did not see a lot of oil being splashed around. It does not seem like it's getting enough oil to top end.it doesn't seem to be missing or running bad, just ticking louder than normal for my jeep. My question is what could be causing this. Thank you in advance Roger B.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hmm it could be a clogged lifter. Maybe when you did the timing chain job it loosened some sludge / carbon and got jammed in a lifter on the way up. Also now that it's ticking it's very likely a lifter.

You can run some clearers / agents through the engine to see if that breaks it up, that's way before I suggest you taking the faulty lifter out. People even change oil viscosities to help with the ticking sound, there's a ton of info on this site about it. Is it happening on one or multiple cylinders?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I now have oil flow on to rockers :) said a few prayers to the JEEP GODS. I think you may be right though about a clog or slight blockage. Sounds like only one lifter ticking. I started it today ticking not as bad. I run 10/30 royal purple w/ Lucas stabilizer it has performed well for me for the last 4 years. Do you think I should run some sea foam in the oil to see if that might help?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I SeaFoam'd my Jeep once to try to get rid of lifter tick. It's real easy to use especially in the crankcase. Just don't run it too long, I think you can go 100 miles but I dumped my oil at 30 miles with it in there.

I would run it a few more days regularly to see if it changes. The SeaFoam can't really hurt, it's a good product overall. I use it on my lawn equipment too, got 15 years on the Murray lol.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep of course I just did the oil change (Royal /Lucas/k&n oil filter) about $80 to do. I think I will run it for a few days and see if it quiets down. Then sea foam if needed. Thanks for your help !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts