Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2000 TJ 2.5L and the other day when i went to start it up it wouldn't start. ended up having to have a buddy jump it, yet it wouldn't start right away when being jumped. once it started the check gauge light came on and the battery gauge was reading past 19. so i replaced both the alternator and the battery. now there is no power at all, when i open the door the dome light won't even turn on. when i turn the key doesn't even make a sounds or turn anything on. no when i connect the battery up to another car thats running like i was going to jump it. it'll turn on all the lights in my jeep, like it should be able to without being connected but it doesn't. it tried to start while connected to the other car but won't. its just a very slow crank and then it just beeps like the battery is dead. all i can think of is maybe a short somewhere, but no clue on where to start looking. anyone else every have this issue? or any ideas on what to look at or check out? i don't have a volt reader but I'm planning on trying to borrow someones. any help would be great thanks!

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery connection to me. May want to look at the terminals as well as the cables themselves. The terminals need to be cleaned to the point of bright shiny metal. Check the other ends of the cables to ensure tight clean connections as well as peel back a little of the insulation on them to make sure the cables have not corroded inside.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a bad battery connection to me. May want to look at the terminals as well as the cables themselves. The terminals need to be cleaned to the point of bright shiny metal. Check the other ends of the cables to ensure tight clean connections as well as peel back a little of the insulation on them to make sure the cables have not corroded inside.
okay will do! i know the terminals on the battery its self are good because its brand new.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
okay will do! i know the terminals on the battery its self are good because its brand new.
that's battery posts. I'm talking about the terminals that connect to the battery.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's battery posts. I'm talking about the terminals that connect to the battery.
problem fixed! i just disconnected the positive and negative from the battery and then disconnected the positive from the fuse box and alternator and well put it back together and it started with no issue. i guess i had a bad connection somewhere

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
problem fixed! i just disconnected the positive and negative from the battery and then disconnected the positive from the fuse box and alternator and well put it back together and it started with no issue. i guess i had a bad connection somewhere
Glad to hear you got it going again.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Did you clean all those terminals before hooking it back up? If not you will have issues again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts