Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My manual 1994 YJ 4.0L doesn't seem to have any acceleration. It also will run without stalling when I let the clutch out in 1st without engaging throttle. The torque/acceleration doesn't improve in 4 low either. Any ideas where to start looking for the issue? I just replaced the vaccum actuator shortly before the issue began but it ran fine for a few days.

·
Registered
current: 07 JKUR previous: totaled 93 yj after new engine and tranny perfect timing!
162 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is bad.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
If you mean it will run without stalling when you let the clutch out and the Jeep does not move, yep, you need a new clutch.
Your '94 should have an external slave, so it is simply clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Some guys can do it in just a few hours. For me, I would plan on all day Saturday and finishing up Sunday afternoon.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it takes a good 3500 RPMS to get it rolling and then the acceleration is still very weak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having the same type of problem and I keep hearing of people saying the catalytic converter may be plugged and to take it apart and either replace it which is like 90$ on rock auto or clean it out. I'm also told this may be why I have to stand on my breaks to get myself to slow down even though I have all new breaks discs drums and pads so that's where I'm going to start good luck my friend! ▪|||||||▪

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you let the clutch out and it doesn't stall, how do you get it moving at all?
It goes, just takes high RPMS to get it rolling. If you put a brick in front of the tire though it would not get enough torque or acceleration to power over it.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
The weekend is approaching. Looks like your work is cut out for you.

If you continue to drive your Jeep, you will find yourself stuck somewhere.

You need a new clutch! There is nothing easier to check out first. Buy the best clutch and pressure plate that you can afford. Replacing the clutch slave cylinder is also recommended.

Hopefully you have the tools and a Factory Service Manual or a Haynes or Chiltons manual.

The weather here in Colorado promises to be nice this weekend. Not so much next weekend. Where in CO are you? It has been snowing regularly in the mountains. The weather on the plains has been unseasonably warm.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems that way L.M. I'm up here in Crested Butte (talk about unseasonably warm). I've got all the tools I need either in the shop or on order and I got a free download of the field service manual and will print out the clutch section. Besides a pilot bearing tool do you know of any other special tools required? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
A very long extension with a universal to get to one of the bell housing to block bolts. Or several not so long extensions.

I had to use a 24" breaker bar to loosen my skid plate bolts. I have a 700 ft lbs impact wrench and it wouldn't break them loose.

Support the transmission with a jack before dropping the skid plate.

Get some Neversieze (or Antisieze) for installing your trans crossmember bolts.

Crested Butte...a wheelers paradise. Flatlanders can only imagine.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info guys! It took me about 10-15 hours over a couple of weeks working after work. I was piddling around with some other things while I was in there and taking my time to get it right. The only real problem I encountered was those damn external torx bolts on the top of the bell housing. I had to grind off the passenger side. Otherwise it all went smoothly. Not a bad project considering this is the first real mechanical endeavor I've undertaken. Thanks again for responses! Got the doors off and Im enjoying some springtime cruising :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts