Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we bought our Jeep the fender flares were already removed. So it had no front turn signals and the park lights were wired up to a set of KC lites on front bumper. So we bought the led lights with halos so we could have turn signals on front. Problem is I have no power to the wiring for the turn signals. I chased it back to the harness no power there either. The flasher is obviously doing the fast flash cause it knows there’s an issue. While investigating and testing I checked to see if everything was plugged into the flasher. Not sure what or how many wires should be connected. But found what I believe is an open spot on flasher cause if I stick my tester in the slot it slows down to normal blinking speed. Any ideals? Where my thumb is where I think I might be missing something. Maybe someone knows where I can find a pic or something of what should be plugged in. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
From your screen name I assume you have a 1998 (good to include that info as things, especially electrical, change over the years). If that is correct the flasher relay should only have 3 wires which it appears you have so that is not where your problem is.

When you have the rapid flash are you seeing it from the rear lights? And do you see it from the indicator in the dash cluster. That info will help isolate where you are losing power to the front.

Also, how far did you trace the harness back from the fender area?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and yes I see the rapid flash at the rear blinkers and on the dash. And I stopped at the fender. Because I had no power on either side of the harness there I jumped to under the dash and started looking for a loose or missing connection. Thinking I would try and find problem and follow it from there. Wasn’t sure where to go from the harness either.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The front and rear flasher circuit splits in the turn signal switch. It could be a wear/corrosion problem in the switch. Try cycling the hazards on and off several times to see if it helps.

Do the hazards flash at the front. If they do the wiring from the switch is good and the issue should be in the switch.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Everything Jonny says is true but since you are getting signals (fast flash) to the cluster indicators you should be getting power out from the switch so first try finding the connector C-110 along the inner fender that has the turn signal wires. They are tan (right) & grey (left) & pins 2 & 3. See if you get power there. If not you also have a connector C-107 in the kick panel that has the same colored wires & also pins 2 & 3. It is yellow & located in the big stack about 5th from the top. See if you have power there. If not, go on to the switch. Check both sides of the connectors in case there is a break in the connector connections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, I will check these tonight when I get home. And I will jump back on here and give an update. Hopefully can get the blinkers working again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welp I’m back...... okay update checked the yellow block on kick panel, no power either side of connector. So I moved to switch and I HAVE power coming out the switch on both tan and grey wires. But I did notice I was incorrect when I said I could see the flash on the cluster it was in the daylight and I thought I did but do not. So power at the switch check, see flash on cluster no, power anywhere else no. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes fast flash on rear tail lights, not sure on color of those rear tail light wires did not check. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
OK, with the rears flashing but not fronts or dash indicators (no power at C-107) you need to check one more place. Find the green C-203 connector also in the big stack in the kick panel about 2nd from the top with the same grey & tan wires. Check for power there on both sides of the connector.

I’m pretty sure you will get the same results, no power on either side. If so, you will have isolated the problem to a break (probably cut) in both tan & grey wires somewhere between the switch connector & the green C-203 connector. They are not too far from each other so should be pretty easy to find.

Edit:

I should add that on one side of the C-203 connector those wires should have 2 wires crimped to each terminal. That is the side that goes up to the switch as well as to the cluster for the indicators. Best to start tracing from the switch so you don’t follow the ones to the cluster indicators.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well sorry it took so long to get back at it, hot super busy at work. But update followed your last suggestion and bingo. I now have power to the front on both sides. Ended up being loose connection on the green harness plug. Although did not see a double wire one for cluster and I still don’t have lights on cluster. But I ain’t concerned with that at this point. Most importantly the front blinkers are working. So Thank You/Y’all for everything. Wouldn’t have figured it out without y’all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts