Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle is a 2016 JKU with a trailer tow package. Purchased new, and everything worked fine. To make a long story some what short, I have no right turn signal, or brake light at the trailer tow 4 way plug. Everything else works fine, and NO, it is not a trailer light issue, just power to the plug. I have checked for any fuse problem and can't even find a fuse listed for this, but checked just about every fuse in the fuse box. In trouble shooting, I do have turn signal at the light itself, but not down to the trailer plug. What is really strange, putting a continuity tester between the T at the taillight and the 4-way trailer plug, I have continuity, not sure of the ohms. I also tryed a new replacement trailer 4-way plug harness, and still no right turn or brake light. I'm not new to trailer light wiring, so this really has me stumped. I have tired searching all over the net for this issue, and have turned up some of the same issues, but no reasonable answers. The Jeep is clean, and there is no sign of corrosion anywhere. The connectors all look like new with dielectric grease still in place. The only thing that was different from new is, I had borrowed a small trailer from a friend, and not sure if the turn signals worked on it. Before I get blasted for not checking lights, the owner of the trailer said I had "flashers" when I hit the hazard flashers. He was standing near the left rear, so not sure if he saw the right side.. Since I hate borrowing anything, I purchased my own trailer, and that is when I discovered the issue. The only thing that I have not tried is a major re-boot by removing both battery cables, and touching the the pos & neg together. This was suggested by someone, not quite sure I want to do that or not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jim

·
Registered
142 Posts
I added a hitch and the OEM trailer wiring to my 2016 Sport, the harness connection was made on the left side of the Jeep. If you haven't I would find where the trailer harness connects to the Jeep wiring and see if there may be a bad/corroded connection there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just reread your OP, question to clarify, on the Jeep side where the trailer harness plugs in, is there power there or not? There isn't a seperate fuse for that harness, AFAIK it gets power from the same harness for the Jeeps tail lights.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, there is power there, but does not go down to the plug. That's the part I just can't understand, even with a new harness..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok, can only be a couple things. Maybe the contacts on the female side of the plug have spread a bit and not making good contact with the male side of the plug, or there's a break in the wire somewhere between where the harness connects to the Jeep wiring and the trailer plug end, although a new harness should have resolved that if it was the problem. Is the female side of the connector on the Jeep side of the harness or the trailer harness?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the pins looked good, but I will recheck my triple checks of them. I either have to be missing something, or the Roswell Aliens have stopped by... Appreciate all the suggestions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree there may be something wrong with the take-off lead to the harness. I would unplug it and check continuity of just that harness.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I FOUND the problem. Turns out the "plug & play" harness that is for the 3" cube back up lights was the culprit. This harness " T's " right into the original lighting harness. Never thinking it was this, I had never did any testing with this plugged in, and actually forgot about it. Unplugged it from the system, and everything worked accordingly. Obviously one of the molded connectors is bad. Contacted the company to see if they had any issues or complaints about this harness, and they replied in the negative, but offered a refund. I guess I will be going to Plan B to wire these up.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts