Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here we go...I have a 98 tj 4.0 5speed... I was out and about yesterday.. At a red light and I could not get it into 1st gear.. Could not get it into any other gear either. It felt like I was locked out and I just sat there frantically trying to get it into 1st. Finally after a loooong 15 or 20 secs it fell in and off I went. This has happened before I just don't know what it is or how to fix it... Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Most likely your syncro's just weren't meshing. It's common on the Ax-5/15 trannys, and mine has a tendancy not to want me to go into 2nd when it's cold. I'm sure it wasn't 15 or 20 seconds, just felt like it given the situation.

·
Registered
292 Posts
holding the clutch drop it into second, then first. I had that prob with my 99. You also might need a fluid change.

·
Registered
419 Posts
holding the clutch drop it into second, then first. I had that prob with my 99. You also might need a fluid change.
he said he couldn't get it in any gear....

I've had the same problem with mine... usually if i stopped trying to muscle it and be easy it would go in... or if i double clutched. it is a syncro thing

·
Registered
892 Posts
Ok here we go...I have a 98 tj 4.0 5speed... I was out and about yesterday.. At a red light and I could not get it into 1st gear.. Could not get it into any other gear either. It felt like I was locked out and I just sat there frantically trying to get it into 1st. Finally after a loooong 15 or 20 secs it fell in and off I went. This has happened before I just don't know what it is or how to fix it... Thanks for any help...
I believe Ive asked this question many many times here.
it usually happens when my jeep is fully warmed up (ie been on for more than 20 min).
can not get in any gear right after pressing down the clutch standing still but will get in if I wait a couple seconds. the waiting time gets longer as the transmission/clutch gets warmer.
I think its the clutch is sticking to the flywheel causing the transmission still spinning so that the blocker pin is blocking out the gears.
once you moving everything is normal again. even if you stop in gear with clutch pressed down, you can change no problem. only happens after having it in neutral and clutch out.

·
Registered
892 Posts

I've had the same problem with mine... usually if i stopped trying to muscle it and be easy it would go in... or if i double clutched. it is a syncro thing
its not a syncro thing, a syncro thing would be grinding.
its a clutch thing.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts

Something tells me that with the username Logirl, he's actually a she...:D

I believe Ive asked this question many many times here.
it usually happens when my jeep is fully warmed up (ie been on for more than 20 min).
can not get in any gear right after pressing down the clutch standing still but will get in if I wait a couple seconds. the waiting time gets longer as the transmission/clutch gets warmer.
I think its the clutch is sticking to the flywheel causing the transmission still spinning so that the blocker pin is blocking out the gears.
once you moving everything is normal again. even if you stop in gear with clutch pressed down, you can change no problem. only happens after having it in neutral and clutch out.
I agree with this... it does sound like the clutch may not be disengaging fully and it's blocking the Jeep from going into any gears. Not sure what all causes that, but I'm wondering if low fluid level could be one cause?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I agree with this... it does sound like the clutch may not be disengaging fully and it's blocking the Jeep from going into any gears. Not sure what all causes that, but I'm wondering if low fluid level could be one cause?
idk, I checked mine it was fine.
an it only happens when things getting hot. when its cold its perfectly normal.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You may want to try a drain and flush on the transmission. Has worked well for others with similar issues. Also check your Slave Cylinder fluid level, maybe it is low.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone.. It does indeed only happen when the engine has been running awhile.. I'll check the fluids...good thing it only happens once in a while so I'm assuming it's not a major problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts