Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, my JKU doesn't fit into my garage, just a couple of inches more... If I take off the spare tire, it will work... but seems like I have to remove the spare tire bracket as well.
Is there anyone doing this, not carrying the spare tire or put it behind the rear seat? How can you maintain a "good look" without the spare?

2013 JKU sport S with Rancho 2 inch lift up with RS9000XL shocks. Otherwise, everything is stock!! Unfortunately 100% on-road driving.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Unfortunately, my JKU doesn't fit into my garage, just a couple of inches more... If I take off the spare tire, it will work... but seems like I have to remove the spare tire bracket as well. Is there anyone doing this, not carrying the spare tire or put it behind the rear seat? How can you maintain a "good look" without the spare? Thank you.
They sell spare tire delete plates. Google it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You don't need to buy anything to take your spare off. Yes, plenty of people run without a spare and yes, if you want to take it with you, you can just throw it in the back. The spare tier carrier is a few simple bolts and then you can disconnect your 3rd light. The disconnect in the 07-10 was in the tailgate. Disconnect and pull through. I got some grommets to fill the holes at Home Depot. Used the stock bolts to fill the bolt holes. Plenty of options for "tramp stamps" if you need one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FSM Design & Fabrication LLC. tramp stamp with third brake integrated. $60 on Amazon and was the easiest install I've done on the jeep. Tons of great cheap options out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Secure that tire if you keep it in the cab. A frontal wreck will put 60 pounds into motion heading your way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
After taking my spare tire on and off about 10 times today trying to fab a camera mount, I was tempted to ditch the spare tire!! :D

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I carry an East German Wrestler to handle lifting the spare on and off.
Her name is Helmut. She eats more than any six teenagers I know, but it's worth it not to have to deal with that heavy spare tire!

There are some pretty cool "tramp stamps" you can install (Poison Spyder, EVO, etc.).
You'll need to figure out what you want to do for the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL), as it is integral to you Spare Tire Carrier.

Might drop XTRyan a PM, and see what Extreme Terrain can come up with for you.

If you want an aging East German Wrestler let me know. ;)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I can't imagine a garage too small for JKU to not fit. There are lots of bigger vehicles out there. I'd modify my garage or leave the door open before I'd do without the spare.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Here is my set up. Once the mounts are done I will not be using a ratchet strap so the spare tire will act silly be facing the other way.

I constantly get crap for having no spare when my top is on and I usually just let people rant to me about how I need one while my spare is just sitting right there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Here is my set up. Once the mounts are done I will not be using a ratchet strap so the spare tire will act silly be facing the other way. I constantly get crap for having no spare when my top is on and I usually just let people rant to me about how I need one while my spare is just sitting right there.
Nice setup! Can you post some pictures of how its mounted?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I carry an East German Wrestler to handle lifting the spare on and off. Her name is Helmut. She eats more than any six teenagers I know, but it's worth it not to have to deal with that heavy spare tire! If you want an aging East German Wrestler let me know. ;)
I may be interested... How much you want? :wink: :beer:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice setup! Can you post some pictures of how its mounted?
Well right now it's just ratchet strapped to the brackets used for the rear seat.

The actual finished mount will be a tube frame that's going to have mounts similar to what's on the seat that will lock it in place though instead of having to use ratchet strapped to hold the tire down. The tire will bolt to that similar to how it does the rear carrier.

Unfortunately, I rolled my jeep on an off-road trip last weekend though so that has been out on hold while some armor is added to the Jeep no .

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
I can't imagine a garage too small for JKU to not fit. There are lots of bigger vehicles out there.
I was thinking that too. My 4-door is even shorter than my Mustang.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts