Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I hear something somewhere about a no stall feature - is that correct?

The reason that I ask is because today I was driving through a parking lot in 2nd gear. I got to the end of the lot, and went to turn and head to the exit. When I did, I apparently let the rpm's get a little too low and didn't hit the clutch in time. The engine did this rev thing and when I noticed it I hesitated just a bit to see what it would do. It actually didn't die, and before I knew it I was idling in 2nd gear.

Does it do this for all gears or just 1st and 2nd? And is this just a fluke or is there an actual no stall feature?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
That's just the idle pulling the car along. Anything over 2nd and you'll lug the motor until it stalls. The computer will try to maintain a certain rpm, which is what you're experiencing, not antistall. In traffic you can happily cruise along in 1st or second without touching any pedals. This is true for any manual transmission (even my 82 hp tercel did it just fine).

anti-stall is present ONLY in 4-low. engage 4-low and the idle will rise. if the computer detects the engine is close to the stall point it will add some juice.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I moved from a Mustang GT with a very short throw and tight clutch to my JKR. I've stalled it more than a few times getting used to it :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hmm I never knew that the anti-stall was only active when in 4-low. I guess I should go back to the dealer and see if my paper owners manual arrived yet since they didnt have one for me when I took delivery.

I'm sure there is other info I can learn from that manual.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Begging your pardon, but the anti-stall works ALL the time. I start in 2nd quite often in my 6-gear, and its saved me from stalling a few times. If you touch the throttle AT ALL, it disengages. Yes, it's the idle control, electronic throttle control, but it works the same in all transfer case modes.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Afmcronnie said:
Begging your pardon, but the anti-stall works ALL the time. I start in 2nd quite often in my 6-gear, and its saved me from stalling a few times. If you touch the throttle AT ALL, it disengages. Yes, it's the idle control, electronic throttle control, but it works the same in all transfer case modes.
I'm with the others. It actually does not work all the time. Try going up a steep hill in 2nd gear with no gas. It'll probably stall. Or lightly press the brakes. It'll stall. That means there is nothing preventing this. In 4 low if you go up a steep hill with no gas it'll actually keep the gas up to get you up. If you lightly press the brakes the engine will override it. That's stall prevention. Just cuz it'll drive on flat ground in 2nd gear when idling doesn't mean it has stall prevention.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm with the others. It actually does not work all the time. Try going up a steep hill in 2nd gear with no gas. It'll probably stall. Or lightly press the brakes. It'll stall. That means there is nothing preventing this. In 4 low if you go up a steep hill with no gas it'll actually keep the gas up to get you up. If you lightly press the brakes the engine will override it. That's stall prevention. Just cuz it'll drive on flat ground in 2nd gear when idling doesn't mean it has stall prevention.
Mechanical advantage in 4-Lo. Try it again in 3rd.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Right, because of the conflicting information, and the fact that there's NOTHING in the user's manual about anti-stall, I contacted Chrysler:

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.

The Jeep Wrangler is not equipped with an "anti-stall" feature as
described in your email.

If you stall or begin to lose headway while climbing a steep hill, allow
your vehicle to come to a stop and immediately apply the brake. Restart
the engine and shift into REVERSE. Back slowly down the hill allowing
engine braking to control the descent and apply your brakes, if
necessary, but do not allow the tires to lock.

there you go, straight from the horse's mouth. No anti-stall.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's really just a byproduct of the electronic throttle control. The computer wants to keep the engine from stalling out at idle. You dont have much power available at 600 RPM. The computer WILL apply some throttle to keep the engine from stalling, but not ALOT. When you run out of torque thats all she wrote. The effect is multiplied, of course, in 4-lo. You can really feel the effect with a 6-speed in 1st or 2nd. The trick is not to give it ANY throttle. I feel it all the time when idleing over speed bumps in a parking lot in 2nd. I guess that makes it "Mall Crawler" feature. I HAVE used it in small rocks in 4-lo and 1st gear. It works great. A steep hill? Not so sure...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
It's really just a byproduct of the electronic throttle control. The computer wants to keep the engine from stalling out at idle. You dont have much power available at 600 RPM. The computer WILL apply some throttle to keep the engine from stalling, but not ALOT. When you run out of torque thats all she wrote. The effect is multiplied, of course, in 4-lo. You can really feel the effect with a 6-speed in 1st or 2nd. The trick is not to give it ANY throttle. I feel it all the time when idleing over speed bumps in a parking lot in 2nd. I guess that makes it "Mall Crawler" feature. I HAVE used it in small rocks in 4-lo and 1st gear. It works great. A steep hill? Not so sure...
Agreed, but others on this forum, including myself, were convinced that the jeep had particular software in 4-low that prevented stalling. There is no such software or feature. There is no such thing as anti-stall. It's just the electronic idle control, which just about every single car has. The software is no different between the manual or auto transmission.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
However-----don't ya just love that word!!!----------whenever I shift my TC into low range, my engine speed will increase by about 200-250 rpm. And with the 6 spd and the 4:1 TC ; 1st gear and low range you can crawl thru the technical stuff and never touch the throttle. I find that it works best to let it do its thing.
But when you need a little momentum, a gear or two higher and some throttle will git 'er done!!:thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts