Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some work on my father-in-laws 1984 CJ-7 that is a complete pile. The ignition key cylinder would turn and start without the key, so he wanted to replace the key cylinder. I did this on my 1986 CJ-7 years ago so I thought it would be an easy job. Got into the column easy enough, got the old cylinder out, checked everything out and all is well, so I stabbed the new cylinder in. Made sure it turned to run position before buttoning everything back up (should have tried start at this point.)

Now that it's all together, I want to get it out of my garage before it's disease spreads to my vehicle and the thing won't start..no click or noise of any sort when turning the cylinder to the start position. The old cylinder had to be turned really far to initiate starting so I think the issue may be in the ignition lock switch under the dash on top of the column.

I have plans tonight so I can't work on it and I know it's going to be on my mind so I'm looking for y'all's help with diagnosing the problem. Help please?!?!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it an auto or a stick there might be a neutral safety switch that's not engaging all the way
On a CJ? Not likely. It is a T5 manual though.

It was starting two hours previous so I think it has to be something is affected by the work I did.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah I'm not to familiar with those steering columns I have a 74 so my jeep is old school. Wish I could have been more help sorry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm not to familiar with those steering columns I have a 74 so my jeep is old school. Wish I could have been more help sorry
Thanks, I hope it's something so simple. BTW, a 34 year old vehicle is "old school" just not as much as your 40 year old vehicle.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Some years the "switch" is on the bottom of the column and can be loosened up and adjusted the same as a GM. look and see if it's that way and try moving the switch up towards the steering wheel

·
Registered
68 Posts
If it's an '84, they used the GM style ignition switch and it is adjustable for the throw. It's a pain and you have to be a contortionist to get to it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and advice. I adjusted the ignition switch that I had read about elsewhere and it worked! I don't know why I was dreading it so much, it wasn't that hard to get to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts