Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove through about 2 feet of water last night in my 94 wrangler 4 cylinder. It started to stutter twice so i turned it off before it actually turned off to avoid hydro lock. Started driving it home and the check engine light came on but it ran fine. When I got home I turned it off and started it again, it started rite up without the check engine light I reved it and let it run for a couple minites and it was fine. This morning I go to start it and it crank without any sign of running on its own. Im not sure what it is at all any ideas?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
FYI, hydro lock is an extreme condition. Its where the cylinders actually fill full of water and destroy your motor when it tries to compress it. Usually the only way to do that would be to submerge (as in water up to your intake) your jeep under water, a puddle wont do it.

As for the sputter, chances are you just got water in your distributor and you need to clear it out. Take the cap off and dry it out, or just spray some WD-40 (or like) to displace the water and replace. It should start right up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
camarozz said:
FYI, hydro lock is an extreme condition. Its where the cylinders actually fill full of water and destroy your motor when it tries to compress it. Usually the only way to do that would be to submerge (as in water up to your intake) your jeep under water, a puddle wont do it.

As for the sputter, chances are you just got water in your distributor and you need to clear it out. Take the cap off and dry it out, or just spray some WD-40 (or like) to displace the water and replace. It should start right up.
Xs 2

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same thing happened to me onetime. I took the distributor cap and dried it all out w/ WD-40. Fired right up after that, evened out my idle a little bit as well

·
Registered
28 Posts

i hydrolocked my motor last week, and when u say hydro lock i mean serious stuff i had jets of water coming out of my cylinders when i cranked it with out the spark plugs... clean out the motor new plugs new fluids, two cans of starting fluid and she cranked right up. no weird ticks or nocks. water isnt always bad. some ppl use water injection to clean junk from engines.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
i hydrolocked my motor last week, and when u say hydro lock i mean serious stuff i had jets of water coming out of my cylinders when i cranked it with out the spark plugs... clean out the motor new plugs new fluids, two cans of starting fluid and she cranked right up. no weird ticks or nocks. water isnt always bad. some ppl use water injection to clean junk from engines.
I know it doesnt always destroy a motor, I didnt mean to imply that it always does. But splashing a puddle wont fill your cylinders with water and "lock" the motor from turning over was my point.

Old school racing trick to use water injectors, kinda like NOS, it acts like an octane booster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts