Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 4.0 will not start.
Brief history, 2 weeks ago got in started it, idle speed kept dropping off. I had washed it the day before thought maybe got water in air intake. Took out air filter no water or wet. Put filter back in started, and idled ok I felt it idled kind of low maybe 600 RPM.

I have been driving it since then, however it always cranked over like a week battery. The battery is for sure week maybe only 8 volts on meter in dash. I went to jump it, it Cranked nice and strong, but no start. I think I am getting fuel pressure. I had fuel come out of schrader valve on fuel rail.

I pulled coil packs which to my surprise also had spark plug boots.( Bet these aren't cheap). I didn't check for spark or pull plugs yet.

Any ideas? It was running fine when I parked it last night. What bothers me is the way it started acting up 2 weeks ago, and slowly got to a point where it wouldn't start.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O.K. I went and swapped relays around ASD, Horn, Starter. Still week crank. I deff. need a battery.

I put jumper cables, strong engine cranking,still no start. I put the skinny pedal to the floor it started. I let off the gas pedal she died. floored it again she started, kept it at high idle. It is now idling on its own.

·
Registered
600 Posts
idle air control, or throttle position sensors? Check voltages if you know how.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
idle air control, or throttle position sensors? Check voltages if you know how.
No I don't have a service manual. I need to start by getting new battery first. Then if it is still acting up I need to trouble shoot. I just spent my money on the old man emu, and can't afford to start throwing parts at her, but it may at this point appear to be it wasn't getting fuel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sticking with the cps
CPS!! crank or cam. I didn't know I had a sensor for each.

I did not have a check engine light, would I still be able to hook up a analyser and be able to capture codes?

Darn thing starts now that I have a fair battery charge, but keep in mind when had jumper cables on with good cranking wouldn't start till I floored gas pedal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts