Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am about to acquire a new (used) 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I had a Sport before but it has met its end. The Rubi has a Mopar 4" Lift Kit #77072353AC. Apparently, I have read there is no Sway Bar disconnect mechanism offered on that lift kit, so therefore I won't have access to that feature.

Has anyone else come across this using this and perhaps similar kits? What can I do about it? Is there some kind of retrofit kit available?

Thanks from AZ.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi All,

I am about to acquire a new (used) 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I had a Sport before but it has met its end. The Rubi has a Mopar 4" Lift Kit #77072353AC. Apparently, I have read there is no Sway Bar disconnect mechanism offered on that lift kit, so therefore I won't have access to that feature.

Has anyone else come across this using this and perhaps similar kits? What can I do about it? Is there some kind of retrofit kit available?

Thanks from AZ.

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
The lift kit doesn't change the sway bar disconnect system. If you have a Rubi it should have the push button disconnect system unless someone has removed it for some reason (sometimes they fail).

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Do you have this button?

Only works in 4Hi or 4Lo under 18 mph (when it works)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hopefully an admin can move this to the right forum...

Your Rubicon comes stock with an electric sway bar disconnect. You'll find it to the left of the steering wheel beside the button that also locks front and rear axles..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Yes, of course I have that button. However, it appears that the lift kit somehow renders the disconnect mechanism non functional due to a lack of mechanical interface / support for it. I looked at the sway bar mechanism from underneath and there doesn't appear to be any apparatus that looks like a remotely dis-connectable sway bar.

Can somebody post a picture of the disconnect mechanism so I can compare it ti what I have.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts
If it is used it very possible that the previous owner removed the electric swaybar motor and installed a non electric swaybar. If your swaybar links are too short it can cause issues. To use your electric disconnects with a lift kit you need longer swaybar links but pretty sure most kits include them if they are a decent kit.

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
Hi,

Yes, of course I have that button. However, it appears that the lift kit somehow renders the disconnect mechanism non functional due to a lack of mechanical interface / support for it. I looked at the sway bar mechanism from underneath and there doesn't appear to be any apparatus that looks like a remotely dis-connectable sway bar.

Can somebody post a picture of the disconnect mechanism so I can compare it ti what I have.

Thanks.
To be clear, the electric sway bar disconnect for the Rubicon doesn't actually disconnect the sway bar end links that attach to the axle. It actually disconnects the two sides of the sway bar, leaving each side still connected to the axle. You cannot see this happen externally, it happens inside the mechanism. The mechanism is the silver funny shaped thing near the top of jadmt's picture. But since the two sides of the sway bar are not connected to each other each side is free to move up and down without affecting the other side. You do have to be careful if you have a lot of lift and / or a lot of travel as the sway bar ends are still connected via sway bar links to the axle and if the axle droops far enough in some cases the link can flip and when the axle comes back up towards the chassis the link will be trying to go in front. That doesn't work, the link bends, and the suspension can't move as designed. That is why some people with Rubicons still add physical sway bar disconnects to use when they are flexing their suspension heavily.
Also, you want to make sure your sway bar sits at the right angle at ride height.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Here you go

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
^^^^^
What he said

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Folks,

Thank-you very kindly. Yes, I found it. Hidden up underneath that plastic frontal apron. I was looking for some gadget near the sway bar connecting rods.

I read the original comment about that at the Quadratec site under reviews for the aforementioned lift kit.

So, I guess I'm good to go.. :bop:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts