Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked my JKU up a few weeks ago, I made an appt to get my first complementary oil change done. I was talking to the service adviser and asked him if the use dino or syn oil. He said that synthetic was not recommended because it would force higher compression inside the engine. Ive never heard of such a thing. Is there anything to this?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Free oil change will never be full synthetic

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sounds like the kind of place that will refill your headlight fluid and check the muffler bearings.
and their alignments are extra special since they use a tread wrench to realign the tire treads. :dance:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Oh yeah, use full synthetic. I've never heard of oil magically changing the compression ratio on any motor.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If this made a difference then there would be something seriously wrong with your rings :)

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Dynamic compression ratio (the one that really matters) is derrived from the distance between the piston position during the compression stroke when the intake valve(s) are very close to seated (cant remember the standard distance used) when compression can actually begin to occur, and the piston at top dead center.. obviously this has nothing to do with the type of oil

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Go by your owners Manuel. It will spell it out there is you can't use it. For the life of me I can't see why you couldn't.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Page 520 of the 2012 JKU Manual
Synthetic Engine Oils​
Synthetic engine oils can be used if the recommended oil
quality requirements are met, and the recommended
maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are​
followed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Page 559 2012 JKU

Use API Certified SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for​
correct SAE grade.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's why its free.

Me and my friends do our own oil changes in all our cars because we don't trust them, expecially the dealers. We use sythetics on all. When we changed the oil for the first time in our '11 Wranglers, everyone of them (4 of them) had only 5 quarts of oil in them (actually, one of them had just barely over 4) even though the specs call for 6 quarts....Chrysler trying to save a few bucks here by skimping out on a quart of oil per vehicle????? :whistling:

I don't think this is a coincidence. One of our friends got his Acura (yeah, it's not a Jeep, but it's to prove a point) oil change done by the dealer....he drained the oil a week later and what do you know...1 quart short again.

I guess 1 quart saved per vehicle, and it adds up to $$$$ saved for the dealer. That's why I won't go to a dealer, even if it's free.

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
"because it would force higher compression inside the engine"

aha.....
ahahahahahahaha.......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!11!!ONE

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mobile 1, baby.

Mobile 1
Or Amsoil if you want to blow a couple more bucks. I prefer Mobil1 , but I do remember a time when Amsoil seemed like the only oil that quieted down one of my old explorers. Good oil, just pricey.

Oh yeah, that whole BS about the compression is just ignorance on the part of the stealership. I was told the Rubicon was no different than the sahara, just writing on the fender. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you have to pay for your next oil change, I guarantee the dealer will not say that engine won't take Synthetic! they may even recommend it on that second visit!

·
Registered
435 Posts
GCDMD said:
I was told the Rubicon was no different than the sahara, just writing on the fender. :rofl:
And everyone knows the Sahara is the real Wrangler and the Rubicon is the synthetic model. LoL. :)

<sorry, couldn't help myself.>

1 - 20 of 55 Posts