Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was flipping through the owner’s manual looking for lug nut torque specs and ran across the tire chain section. It said something about putting chains only the rear tires and on all models except Sahara. I don't have any plans to, but anyone know why that is?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have no idea why they have that stated on the Sahara models, but my wife runs chains on hers and they are in the front to help the steering. I know with any 4wd system you want them on the front to aid the steering tires while if its a 2wd model or other style of 2wd's you put the chains on the wheels that have power to them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Aiding the steering won't matter if the rear comes around on her. I always put them on the rear unless it's FWD.
What?!
That's how you recover from it, no matter where the rear is. You let off the gas and steer in the direction you want to go. Chains on the front for 4WD. Always.

Chains on the front allow you to steer, stop, and accelerate. Chains on the front may keep the back from fishtailing, but you're going too fast to begin with if you're fishtailing. Chains on the rear help you accelerate, but not steer or stop. Always on the front, unless you have enough for all four tires.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,614 Posts
The reason the manual says no chains on a Sahara is due strictly to its its smaller body colored painted fender flares. For more clearance you can use tire cables that don't need as much clearance as chains do.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
The reason the manual says no chains on a Sahara is due strictly to its its fancier body colored painted fender flares. For more clearance you can use tire cables that don't need as much clearance as chains do.
Agreed, and don't forget tire chain bungee cords are your best friend in keeping them taut and whacking suspension/fenders.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The "no chains" rule on Sahara is because the largest optional factory tire size (39x9.5R15) doesn't leave room for them. Just like I don't have room for chains on my Rubicon.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The reason the manual says no chains on a Sahara is due strictly to its its smaller body colored painted fender flares. For more clearance you can use tire cables that don't need as much clearance as chains do.
what year Sahara are we talking about?

the 97-02 Saharas have larger fender flares not smaller as you wrote.

the only tire available on the 97-02 Saharas was a 30" tall tire, maybe the taller tire (1-2" taller than other Wrangler tires from factory) is the reason for the chain warning?

·
Registered
451 Posts
That's what I was trying to say in message #7 but I got the tire size wrong, it is 30x9.5R15 for the Sahara and LT245R16 (about 30.7x9.75") for the Rubicon. (What happened to the "Edit" button?) Both of those tire sizes come so close to suspension pieces that the chains would rub.

I saw a TJ owner in a ditch once, he had managed to hook a low profile cable chain onto a disco pin for his swaybar. The Jeep spun off the road in an instant, with no chance to avoid the accident, as the tire locked solid.

If you want to run tire chains then IMHO you should either put the stock tires back on, or you should undersize your post-lift tire at least an extra one inch in both tire width and tire diameter over the size you could run without chains.

It's just not a good idea to max out tire size and then add chains to the tire.

·
Registered
768 Posts
What?!
That's how you recover from it, no matter where the rear is. You let off the gas and steer in the direction you want to go. Chains on the front for 4WD. Always.

Chains on the front allow you to steer, stop, and accelerate. Chains on the front may keep the back from fishtailing, but you're going too fast to begin with if you're fishtailing. Chains on the rear help you accelerate, but not steer or stop. Always on the front, unless you have enough for all four tires.
You can put them on the front to aid steering/recovery and i'll put them on the rear so that there's nothing to recover from. If you need chains to help you steer or stop you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn said:
You can put them on the front to aid steering/recovery and i'll put them on the rear so that there's nothing to recover from. If you need chains to help you steer or stop you're doing it wrong.
You aren't steering or stopping on ice. Where are the areas that ice is most commonly found on the road? Intersections, traffic circles, and city roads that don't see much night time traffic and have the time to freeze. Keeping them on the rear does no good.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I fail to see why any jeep would need chains......
The ultimate snow conditions exclude every vehicle except 4WD with tire chains. You could argue correctly that a sane person would not be on the road then.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Like the chains care what color the fender flares are painted? Must be a really thick coat of paint!!!
I think he was just trying to describe the flares, not blaming the paint, however the flares on a Sahara are essentially the same as a Rubicon, with the extra width.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts