Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish I had a photo of the 2014 JKU I towed last week. It had a "no start issue" so we towed it to the nearest Chrysler/Jeep dealer. It had all the tricks. AEV Bumpers, 4" Lift... at least, winch, lights, 37s, custom interior.... The service came out. His first comment... "Cool, lifted,monster tires, no warranty."

Any truth to that?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some truth to be sure as the dealer isn't responsible for what an add on might have done. However they are supposed to at least establish the fault is caused by the add on, not just look at it in the parking lot. However based on stories here and other forums I would say this is a case of "Your mileage may vary" as some dealers are pretty cool with mods and others will use any excuse to dodge the claim.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
At that particular dealership there is probably a lot of truth to that, and I'm not sure how the laws are on up in Canada, but here in the States, it must be proven that a mod caused a particular issue, and then only that portion of the warranty is void.

i.e. they must prove that your 4 inch lift caused the wiring harness to short out, etc

It's a bit more complicated than that, but that is the gist of it in an over simplified kind of way.

Exco

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wish I had a photo of the 2014 JKU I towed last week. It had a "no start issue" so we towed it to the nearest Chrysler/Jeep dealer. It had all the tricks. AEV Bumpers, 4" Lift... at least, winch, lights, 37s, custom interior.... The service came out. His first comment... "Cool, lifted,monster tires, no warranty."

Any truth to that?
Very possible and debatable. It's up to the best negotiator or, worst case, lawyer and/or Judge.

·
Registered
840 Posts
From what I heard, some dealers do and some don't. I believe their is a law that says the dealer has to cover warrantied items that are defective.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Service manager will have to show what mod and how that mod caused the no start problem to deny warranty.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Any truth to that?
Unfortunately, yes.

The law allows the warranty to be completely voided if there is any abuse. Abuse is stuff like off-roading (and racing), and the mods on that JK are considered the evidence needed.

This is why it is so important to know which are the "good" dealers, the ones that look the other way with mods, and which are the "bad" dealers. It seems that nearest dealer you chose to tow to, is a "bad" dealer.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Unfortunately, yes.

The law allows the warranty to be completely voided if there is any abuse. Abuse is stuff like off-roading (and racing), and the mods on that JK are considered the evidence needed.

This is why it is so important to know which are the "good" dealers, the ones that look the other way with mods, and which are the "bad" dealers. It seems that nearest dealer you chose to tow to, is a "bad" dealer.
Not sure how the legal system is up there, but down here they will have a hard time saying "abuse" = "off road" when they sell the vehicle specifically as "trail rated" intended to go off road.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
There doesn't appear to be a Canadian equivalent to the US Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which would potentially protect the owner in this case. As in, if the starter motor failed and there was no obvious sign of abuse (filled with mud, bashed by a rock), then the lift and other mods can not be used as cause for denying coverage. From some brief reading, each province has consumer protection laws but it doesn't seem as clear cut.

So in the US the simple existence of a lift is not just cause for denial of a claim. Most lawyers will take this stuff on at no cost to you since in many states, the loser pays all legal fees. So say my radio failed and my dealer claimed my off road mods void my warranty, I'd call up an attorney here in MI that writes about automotive consumer protection and regularly does podcasts on it too and he'd represent me and take that dealer to town for being a tool.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Not sure how the legal system is up there, but down here they will have a hard time saying "abuse" = "off road" when they sell the vehicle specifically as "trail rated" intended to go off road.
Whoops. Sorry. I was writing about the USA and its Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act . I missed that in the OP's bio, it has that they are from Canada.

Though, please don't take it that I agree with the American law and the courts on this particular issue. I have heard, and even myself, made the argument that aren't Jeeps suppose to go off-roading? However, that doesn't seem to carry any weight in court, when the court is applying the law as written.

The section of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act dealing with abuse, allows the full voiding of the warranty. And again, these particular mods, mods typical of off-roading, are the evidence of such abuse.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
That's funny. The service individual was just being a horses :mooning: making a general statement without troubleshooting the issue. I would be extremely surprised that a no start would be caused by any equipment on that JK that was viewed in the lot.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have since learned any mod to the computer... does in fact completely void the warranty... legally. Todays computers manage so much they will tie a chipped, reprogrammed computer to even a blown differential.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Have since learned any mod to the computer... does in fact completely void the warranty... legally. Todays computers manage so much they will tie a chipped, reprogrammed computer to even a blown differential.
I'm not going to attempt to understand what the warranty requirements are in Canada. In the US if the TIPM is replaced, for example, the warranty claim on a part like a water pump or door seal just to name two components of many that have nothing to do with the computer, can't be denied. There has to be a distinct link from the modification to the part(s) that the claim is being denied for.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
In the US if the TIPM is replaced, for example, the warranty claim on a part like a water pump or door seal just to name two components of many that have nothing to do with the computer, can't be denied. There has to be a distinct link from the modification to the part(s) that the claim is being denied for.
The difference, is mods that scream "take me off-road!", vs ones that don't. Water pumps and door seals would be examples of those types of mods that don't, and yes, those are the ones which would require a link.

I hate to repeat this, but with yet another thread here about this, if you have a well mod'ed Jeep what screams "take me off-road", be real careful of which dealer you go to for service. Around here, there is one dealer who when an off-road mod'ed Jeep comes in for service, quickly snaps a few pics, and sends them off to FCA to get the full warranty voided. This would be the type of dealer to avoid. Other dealers, are much more mod friendly, and tend to look the other way (unless you back them into a corner). These are the dealers who should get your business. If you don't know about your area, join a local Jeep club and I am sure, the members will quickly give you the scoop.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The difference, is mods that scream "take me off-road!", vs ones that don't. Water pumps and door seals would be examples of those types of mods that don't, and yes, those are the ones which would require a link.

I hate to repeat this, but with yet another thread here about this, if you have a well mod'ed Jeep what screams "take me off-road", be real careful of which dealer you go to for service. Around here, there is one dealer who when an off-road mod'ed Jeep comes in for service, quickly snaps a few pics, and sends them off to FCA to get the full warranty voided. This would be the type of dealer to avoid. Other dealers, are much more mod friendly, and tend to look the other way (unless you back them into a corner). These are the dealers who should get your business. If you don't know about your area, join a local Jeep club and I am sure, the members will quickly give you the scoop.

That can't happen here. There is not a mod I'm aware of that can completely void your new vehicle warranty. Any consumer protection attorney would have that dealer for lunch if they tired that.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a lot of hype.

I remember when warranties were only 12 months no one even changed tire sizes till the warranty was gone. And even in the last 10 years a lot of guys wait for the warranty to expire before doing the major changes... But I know for a fact... changes to the computer flat out void the warranty.... you go spend as much as you want on a lawyer. There is a clause in the warranty tied to your sales agreement which gives the manufacturer everything they need to legally void the warranty.

You might believe otherwise but I've seen it done. Mostly on diesel pickups but the results are the same. Even on the Jeep Forums there are references to reprogram back to stock before going in for warranty work. Why would that be?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
People will flash back to stick to minimize headaches. That's all. But a flash will not good your entire warranty. At least not in America. Maybe the Canadian laws aren't as consumer friendly but if a dealer tried that here, your own them. There is no specific clause in the warranty handbook just the usual disclaimer about aftermarket mods.

·
Super Moderator
22,094 Posts
People will flash back to stick to minimize headaches. That's all. But a flash will not good your entire warranty. At least not in America. Maybe the Canadian laws aren't as consumer friendly but if a dealer tried that here, your own them. There is no specific clause in the warranty handbook just the usual disclaimer about aftermarket mods.
Actually most tuners leave a foot print. I have a friend who chipped his new dodge and tranny failed. His warranty was nixed. This is a guy who bought new pickups every year or so. The dealer tried to help but for some reason factory rep got involved due to it being so expensive of a repair.

you reset back to stock but they can still show a tuner was used to change parameters that can void warranty. My 13 and 14 owners manual says altering odometer will void warranty. Think about that....most tuners have the ability to change speed and mileage so if you have one good luck.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
No tuner can adjust odometers and no tune will completely void a warranty. Your friend had the transmission claim denied because of the tune. He could've fought that. A GM tuner posted a case they helped a customer win on the forum I visited when I had my truck. Even if they did deny the claim for the trans, they can't deny unrelated claims like say a power window failing or something.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts