Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Si put some D-Ring mounts on my front bumper today and am going to get shackles. The shackles I am getting are 7/8 and around 8ton. The downside is that they are expensive. If someone take them off my Jeep I will be pissed. So I was thinking about welding the end of it after I put them on so they cant be removed. Thing is I dont want to hear them banging. What is the best way to leave them on and make sure they stay quiet?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
OverkillYJ said:
Si put some D-Ring mounts on my front bumper today and am going to get shackles. The shackles I am getting are 7/8 and around 8ton. The downside is that they are expensive. If someone take them off my Jeep I will be pissed. So I was thinking about welding the end of it after I put them on so they cant be removed. Thing is I dont want to hear them banging. What is the best way to leave them on and make sure they stay quiet?
If you weld them, they are useless. Leave them in your tool or recovery bag until you need them. Or if you really need to leave them on, day star makes d ring isolators for a few bucks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Take a crescent wrench and tighten the pin down. I'm an old ironworker and I would throw bolts at people who would tighten the pin down because kind of hard hanging 200 feet off the ground wrenching the pin back out! Put some anti sieze on the threads and tighten, the shackle is basically a big spring and will hold the pin from going anywhere. Most people if they can't get it off with turning it by hand will not take them, plus you own a jeep if they want something they can cut the window.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh and to keep the d rings quite, that's easy to do, turn up radio! LOL Or go to home depot and get the slip on pipe insulation, it the black foam insulation you can get for 5/8 water lines. Cut a piece to slip on the bell of the shackle and it will keep it from clacking against your bumper.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I might try some isulation. I wasnt going to weld the whole thing, I was just going to tap the end the threads are on so it has like a little 1/8" dot of weld that will stop it from turning, but that I could grind off in 5 seconds if I needed to. As far as cutting the window, I got a hard top and dorrs on now, but in the summer when I put on my soft top I dont een lock it. lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you wrench them tight no one will be able to get them off unless they carry around a wrench too. Really a lock can only keep an honest man honest if a thief want something they are going to get it regardless. Before you weld just try wrenching them down and see if you can get them off by hand.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
JPi1 said:
If you weld them, they are useless. Leave them in your tool or recovery bag until you need them. Or if you really need to leave them on, day star makes d ring isolators for a few bucks.
I think this is the best answer.

Once you're on the trail put them one.

How often do you need them on pavement?

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
This...

Yeah I might try some isulation. I wasnt going to weld the whole thing, I was just going to tap the end the threads are on so it has like a little 1/8" dot of weld that will stop it from turning, but that I could grind off in 5 seconds if I needed to. As far as cutting the window, I got a hard top and dorrs on now, but in the summer when I put on my soft top I dont een lock it. lol
Do you carry a grinder on the trail?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This...

Do you carry a grinder on the trail?
no, but i also have hooks and things for my straps. I dont have to remove my shackles. The shackles are $30 a piece.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep them inside, no point in putting them on your bumper when not in use.
You know that is what I was starting to think as well. I have a big heavy duty duffle bag I keep all of my recovery gear in. I think I will just toss them in there with everything else. I will be piussed if the dissapear, and since they weigh 3lbs each it will be a pita to get them silent.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm glad I live in the sticks and don't have to worry about someone stealing shackles off my vehicles! All of my vehicles have snatch ropes on them with 7/8 shackles and have never had one walk on me and they are all just wrapped on the front tow hooks.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I just took a screwdriver shaft and inserted it through the hole in the pin and tightened the holy Hell out of the pin. It's going to take a thief with a tool to get my D-rings. I also haven't had any issues with noisy D-rings on either my TJ or my YJ. Guess I'm lucky...

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I just took a screwdriver shaft and inserted it through the hole in the pin and tightened the holy Hell out of the pin. It's going to take a thief with a tool to get my D-rings. I also haven't had any issues with noisy D-rings on either my TJ or my YJ. Guess I'm lucky...
It's because of the advanced suspension set up that comes on TJs...they just "float" over anything ;)

As far as the YJ...there are probably just more rattles on it that hide all of the noises associated with D-rings on the bumper :rofl:

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
It's because of the advanced suspension set up that comes on TJs...they just "float" over anything ;)

As far as the YJ...there are probably just more rattles on it that hide all of the noises associated with D-rings on the bumper :rofl:
That might be a fact... :rofl:

BUT...I don't have to worry about death wobble anymore!! :thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wrapped the pin with electrical tape where it goes through the bumper bracket, then tightened them with a wrench... they're stiff & don't rattle, but you can still move them if I use 'em...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Simple solution I saw elsewhere

This wasn't my idea, but what I am doing. I too am leaving them on as I think they look cool with the AEV bumpers, but noisy. So I looked around and I saw this guy using the FluidMaster BallCock Shank Washer made for your toilets so that the D-Rings can't move unless you intend them too, so they don't bounce around and make noise.

I just joined the group, but hopes this helps (and no I don't work for a toilet supply company)

Rich

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
This seems to come up a lot. I just don't understand; why have something attached that you have to remove to use? And then go to extra effort to try and quiet it. I know they look cool and all but put them in the recovery bag where they belong.

The only reason I can see having them attached is if you are using to secure your winch line. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
This wasn't my idea, but what I am doing. I too am leaving them on as I think they look cool with the AEV bumpers, but noisy. So I looked around and I saw this guy using the FluidMaster BallCock Shank Washer made for your toilets so that the D-Rings can't move unless you intend them too, so they don't bounce around and make noise.

I just joined the group, but hopes this helps (and no I don't work for a toilet supply company)

Rich
very clever! welcome to the forum:wavey:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts