Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I noticed a strange clicking or tapping noise coming from the rear undercarriage of my TJ and its flippin driving me nuts. I greased and lubed everything and checked the shocks, coils, u-joints, and tracbar to see if they were loose or needed replacing and i couldnt find any flaws so i'm guessing its my dana44 or possibly my transfer case. has anyone had a similar experience?

It makes the noise mostly when im in 2H second and third gears.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Could b as simple as a rock stuck n your tread. 2nd and 3rd would b fast enough to make it audible but slow enough road noise didn't drown it out. Could b a small twig somewhere around the brakes/rim. I don't think anything in the transfer case or axle would click or tap like your describing. Can you tell by how fast it clicks/taps if it's drive shaft speed or tire/wheel speed?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Also check your exhaust system to make sure the hangers are in place. My muffler came loose (weld broke) a few weeks ago and was banging around

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had something similar happen to me. I had just put on new tires, so I'd check and make sure your lugs are tight (don't sit there and think "I got them tight enough!" I did the same thing... and lost 3!) What you already checked is where i would go next. When i had my noise my brother thought it could be the Rear Pinion Seal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you everyone for your input, all very good stuff. Me and my friend further inspected the situation by me driving in circles while he stood outside listening. after many..MANY circles we concluded that the only thing that noise seemed to be coming from was my new rancho 9000 shocks, they make a strange popping tapping noise (i dunno if thats normal) so i really snugged up the ears to make sure they arnt loose, but that didnt solve the problem. regardless me and my other buddy took it wheeling and it didnt seem to effect me while driving but the shocks do make a lot of noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts