Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new Jeep in the next year(hopefully), upgrading to a newer model, probably a 2005-2006. However the main thing that scared me away from my '97 was the ridiculous noise level. With a hard top and full doors the wind and engine noise was almost deafening on the freeway. Talking on the phone was impossible, even having a conversation with the person in the passenger seat was difficult. It didn't help that there were small holes forming in the floor and the rocker panels. I can't afford to have a "play" vehicle so this is kind of a deal breaker. I often find myself traveling across the state, with other people, which is inconvenient for them because of how loud it is. I really don't like the body style of the new JKs, but it seems like they are much quieter than the TJs, and it makes me wanna save up a bit longer so I can get one. So if you could, post your year of Jeep, any sound-dampening mods you've done, and how noisy it is at freeway speeds.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
'12 JKU. No sound mods. Soft top only. I talk on the phone with Uconnect (hands-free Bluetooth) at 75 mph in a normal voice.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Darth Vader said:
I'm looking to get a new Jeep in the next year(hopefully), upgrading to a newer model, probably a 2005-2006. However the main thing that scared me away from my '97 was the ridiculous noise level. With a hard top and full doors the wind and engine noise was almost deafening on the freeway. Talking on the phone was impossible, even having a conversation with the person in the passenger seat was difficult. It didn't help that there were small holes forming in the floor and the rocker panels. I can't afford to have a "play" vehicle so this is kind of a deal breaker. I often find myself traveling across the state, with other people, which is inconvenient for them because of how loud it is. I really don't like the body style of the new JKs, but it seems like they are much quieter than the TJs, and it makes me wanna save up a bit longer so I can get one. So if you could, post your year of Jeep, any sound-dampening mods you've done, and how noisy it is at freeway speeds.
Hated the Jk also but :whistling:

Must move on to bigger and better things :)

Jk is pretty quite. Some whistling rattling and squeaking that may irk some but...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you say so :p but I'd rather mod a TJ for sound dampening than buy a JK, personally.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love my TJ! My buddy has a JK and it's really nice but too car-like for me ;). Either way u won't be disappointed!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love my TJ! My buddy has a JK and it's really nice but too car-like for me ;). Either way u won't be disappointed!!
How loud is it?

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
First, I hope your using a hands free device while talking on the phone. thats becoming illegal around the country nowadays.

Second, I have a 98 soft top and I have no problems having a conversation or talking on the phone while on the highway. I just have to turn the radio down, which is the polite thing to do anyways when your talking to someone.

Thirdly, my jeep is not as quiet as my dads 05 with a hard top. Its very quiet in there.

Although, the deffinition of noisy is entirely dependent on how sensitive you are to noise, so these are just my opinions.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I have a JK--it is ALMOST like riding in a car. When it is "windy" on the highway there is a slight "wind whistle" but not bad.

I also have an '04 TJ-with flow master/ loud exhaust, no carpet, and loud stereo. By adding a halftop and changing the uppers doors so that I have new seals and moving sound bar in front of roll bar--conversations are "easy" and phone calls are doable up to about 65mph.

In summer time the TJ with bikini top and upper doors off and jammer/ duster on it is more quiet than with top on.

IMO my JK is like a car and my TJ is like a Jeep---

·
Registered
422 Posts
if you want to be able to hear anything softer than a storm siren, do NOT get a YJ ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool it on the JK bashing and stick to topic.
Who are you talking to? I was asking him to tell me how loud his TJ is. :hide:

Thanks for the opinions guys. It sounds like the JK will be more to my liking.
But are there no good sound mods, like engine covers or insulation, for the TJ that make it quieter?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mine is an '11 with dual tops. HT is almost as quiet as a domestic sedan. ST is great until another vehicle passes you on the highway, then it becomes somewhat louder. The tire tread you run and the pavement you drive have a lot to do with it also. It's like the difference between I-75 concrete in SE Michigan and some of the asphalt rubber highways in Rhode Island and New Jersey.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: The 3.8L jeep V6 is super quiet-BY ITSELF-

When you add MT tires and have non-aligned hard tops/ manual tranny--it can get very noisy-

If you have the proper HT insulation/alignment/auto tranny and prepped hood cowl--you can hear and count the number of "PINS" dropped !

Nothing toit !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
59 Posts
My TJ is hard top with Borla exhaust and mud terrains and is quiet enough to talk on phone freeway speeds. My friends JK is stock with a soft top and is a bit quieter. Maybe the one u test drove was loud cause the doors weren't adjusted right and the seals werent grabbing right. I had to readjust one of my doors and once I did it was quiet again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My Tj with a hartop is pretty quite. Not sure why yours is so loud? When I first put my hardtop on the noise coming from the top of the windshield where the top meets the window frame was unbearable. I found a way to tighten it down a bit and all the noise was completely gone. I can have normal conversation on the freeway. I think you need to make sure all your seals are snug.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've had a 2001 and 2005 TJ. With factory soft top, they weren't too loud on the hwy. Once I replaced the tops with cheaper(thinner) aftermarket tops, it's definitely louder, especially when the wind is blowing. I can still talk on the phone at hwy speeds. If you have a choice, go with full doors. On my 2001, I switched to full doors, made a huge difference over the upper door skins.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! It's probably gonna come down to a test drive at the dealer when I get the money. Hopefully not too long now. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts