Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, didn't drive the Jeep for 6 days, (darn visiting relatives). Started it this morning to take a drive and the lifters(?) went to clicking like crazy!! Did so for about 3-5 seconds than the clicking sound went away. Normal?? It's a '13 JK with only 133 miles on it.:eek:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yup. After an extended time, nearly all the oil has drained back into the oil pan. It takes a few moments for the pump to push oil back to the upper half of the engine.

The real worry would have been if it kept clattering beyond that. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine has never done this even after sitting for eight days. Do you by any chance park with the front end pointed downhill? Reason I ask is when I was test driving jeeps one that was parked facing downhill rattled like hell at startup for a couple of seconds. None of the others did. Just a thought.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My '13 has done this maybe 5 times in the 6500 miles since new. A couple while parked down hill, a couple while parked up hill so I don't think that makes a difference. My guess is that it just depends on the positioning of the cam/lifters when the engine shuts down. Some lifters may leak down faster than others. If the engine stops with that valve held fully open, it would be more likely to leak down and tap on the next start.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine has never done this even after sitting for eight days. Do you by any chance park with the front end pointed downhill? Reason I ask is when I was test driving jeeps one that was parked facing downhill rattled like hell at startup for a couple of seconds. None of the others did. Just a thought.

Nope.

·
Registered
165 Posts
OK. The reason I asked is the dealer said that was the problem with the one I test drove. Not that I believed it, they will say anything, but since the subject came up thought I would ask to see if it was a possibility.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My '13 has done this maybe 5 times in the 6500 miles since new. A couple while parked down hill, a couple while parked up hill so I don't think that makes a difference. My guess is that it just depends on the positioning of the cam/lifters when the engine shuts down. Some lifters may leak down faster than others. If the engine stops with that valve held fully open, it would be more likely to leak down and tap on the next start.
Hey Eric. These engines technically dont have lifters. They have followers which as far as I know dont pump up. I am not saying this ticking will hurt anything, but I have never owned an overhead cam engine that did this. I have experienced this with pushrod engines and it was irritating enough that I changed the weak lifter. Curious as to what the cause is. Later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts