Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a remanufactured 4.0L in my 97 Wrangler. It runs great BUT it is somewhat noisy (vavle-y) especially when cold. I first thought that it could be coming from the remanufactured injectors that I installed and it may settle down after some break-in (3,000 miles now).

I have been told that 4.0L's are normally noisy. Is this a normal characteristic of the 4.0L?

97tjcse:(

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
Are you by chance running one of those crappy leak-prone Fram oil filters? When (not if) their anti-drainback valve starts leaking, it allows the oil to drain completely out of the engine causing a dry start that can cause the valves to be noisy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using a Valvoline filter. Maybe I'll switch to K&N
What are you using?

Thanks for the input.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
I'd think Valvoline is a good filter but I've been happy for many years with either AC-Delco Duraguard or Purolator Pure-One oil filters, whichever is in stock. :)

·
WF Graphics Bitch
544 Posts
What kind of noise are you hearing? Lifter noise? If it continues to not go away - check to make sure that any lash between the rockers and valves is removed (do this by pulling off the valve cover, and tugging each push-rod. If there is ANY play, tighten the rocker arm nut until it is gone). If that doesn't do it - call up the engine build place and ask if they use new lifters or just clean up the old ones. If they clean up the old ones; then that's why they're probably noisy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts