Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced shoes, caliper and rotor on my 2002 wrangler and it deveoped a scraping noise when turning right, stops when I hit the brake. took it to a brake shop and it doesn't happen when the vehicle is on the rack and turning the tire. thought the rotor might be bad so went back to original rotor, still happening. no obvious shiny spot any where and only happens when turning right.

thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't making noise when bought a week ago DoubeOught. Left caliper went out which caused me to do the work, decided to replace both sides.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Is the dust shield bent a little and making contact/rubbing?

Mine did that after a recent brake change. Just pull it back away from the rotor and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
What model year TJ? '99?
He listed it as a 2002 so I don't think the split year rotor change is an issue.

The only when turning right part seems odd and doesn't fit with many possibilities.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll double check the shield but a local brake shop looked at that too.

thanks for all your feedback, I'll post what I find when I do finally figure it out.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Is it a scraping or ticking? Might need some shims. My right does the same, but it's more of a tick that's only noticeable at low speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all. Well, lesson learned. Take your brakes apart too many times and you strip out the steering knuckle. 800 bucks later, I'm all good. No noise.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Thanks all. Well, lesson learned. Take your brakes apart too many times and you strip out the steering knuckle. 800 bucks later, I'm all good. No noise.
You have to be careful with the tightening on caliper bolts. The torque spec is only 11 ft. lbs. , but you probably know that now...;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts