Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw a post in one of the threads about non-ethanol fuel and I just want to know why its better or worse than regular gas. Also if it gives any better not or if I would need to adjust my engines fuel system in any way since I've heard that it makes it leak at first?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Ethanol has a lower BTU rating than gasoline. You'll lose some fuel economy. You don't have to do anything to run it and nothing will leak.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since it has a lower BTU that means less power right? Not a chemistry guy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I run only 100% gas -- we have a lot of options in this town. I get an average of about +2mpg every single tank over regular ethanol'd gas.

Costs about 20 cents more per gallon, but with the increase in mileage, it is better value.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I run only 100% gas -- we have a lot of options in this town. I get an average of about +2mpg every single tank over regular ethanol'd gas.

Costs about 20 cents more per gallon, but with the increase in mileage, it is better value.
+1 in my experience, or least it's not a worse value.
I don't mind running ethanol. Won't hurt it and maybe stays drier in the winter months because of the alchohol, instead of putting Heet in the tank.
I usually run straight gas overall probably a better deal.

Less power? I don't know. It tends to have a couple more octane points so it might depend on the compression ratio of the engine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ethanol is also corrosive and will dry out seals and hoses. It doesn't do much to newer vehicles because they are made to handle it. Older vehicles, on the other hand, are not made for it and can have efficiency problems and issues with fowling out plugs. My old Camaro would have a ping in it when I ran ethanol gas.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fuel injected engines handle ethanol better than carburetor engines. there is also a small amount of water in ethanol that can be good for removing carbon deposits. Ethanol is basically made identically as any whiskey is , through distillation. The only way to get 100% alcohol is distilling inside a vacuum. Around 97% is the best you can do otherwise but you will also get some water in your tank through condensation.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Azeotrope...yeah. I forgot about that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts