Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm looking to add more protection to the jeep once again before I save up for a lift... Can I run Riddler diff covers without issues of clearance with the tack bar in the front and the gas tank skid in the back... I have read some threads that suggest some diff covers have problems and I am just making sure there won't be before I pull the trigger.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea of how much of a lift I'll need?? Or what other ones will fit stock

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Any idea of how much of a lift I'll need?? Or what other ones will fit stock
figure around 5-6" of lift so you can get 3-3.5" bumpstop extension to fit and still gain some travel. bottom line, they have really bad clearance.

the Barnett is the best choice if you want to armor up your diff, but still avoid major suspension interference issues. A bolt on cover like Warn or Rugged Ridge is another reasonable choice.

To do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd probably do the Barnett up front, and a bolt on Warn in the rear. If you have a D44 rear, you can also find a 3/16" thick stock cover in the junkyard off the front of a 70-80s Dodge, Chevy or Ford truck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks!! I'll look into that combo... Was trying to get them before I did my reg 60k mile diff oil change

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If you have a D44 rear, you can also find a 3/16" thick stock cover in the junkyard off the front of a 70-80s Dodge, Chevy or Ford truck.
This is interesting as I have been wanting to beef up my covers. Is there a specific model truck or trucks that has this cover that fits and do all the holes simply line up with the dana 44? How did they work that out?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
This is interesting as I have been wanting to beef up my covers. Is there a specific model truck or trucks that has this cover that fits and do all the holes simply line up with the dana 44? How did they work that out?
All iron D44 housing cover bolt patterns are the same...."they" worked it out, because the axles are all made by the same company - Dana.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
All iron D44 housing cover bolt patterns are the same...."they" worked it out, because the axles are all made by the same company - Dana.
Got it but what kind of trucks had the dana 44 axles up front? I need some more information before I go calling around salvage yards asking for this cover. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Got it but what kind of trucks had the dana 44 axles up front? I need some more information before I go calling around salvage yards asking for this cover. :thumb:
I have no idea. I saw Dodge full size something, which had mostly been stripped, and I saw that it had a D44 front with a high fill plug. I pulled the cover and measured it with calipers, finding it was 3/16" thick...so I bought it. I think it was $5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts