Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi looking to buy my wife a jeep. She would use during the week, id like to use for some light trail and the beach. I'd prefer to buy stock and then start upgrading. But my time and money is limited really limited, and I'd have to work around her schedule. I saw a nearby dealer is selling this 2010 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon with a 2.5" Procomp lift kit, 5.13 gears, A R.I.P.P supercharger and custom tune, Procomp 7028 rims with 35" BFG KM2's, a magnaflow cat back exhaust ( I believe) and the stock flares have been trimmed.

I read mixed reviews about the lift kit, etc. And have never bought a non-stock car.

They are asking $26000. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, about whether or not this sounds like a deal to jump on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I saw a nearby dealer is selling this 2010 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon with a 2.5" Procomp lift kit, 5.13 gears, A R.I.P.P supercharger and custom tune, Procomp 7028 rims with 35" BFG KM2's, a magnaflow cat back exhaust ( I believe) and the stock flares have been trimmed.

I read mixed reviews about the lift kit, etc. And have never bought a non-stock car.

They are asking $26000.
Run.

Judging from your description, it's been wheeled heavily, and not by you.

BTW, welcome to WF.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah somethings not right. Price is way too low with those mods. How many miles? I would be very suspicious of this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I will just have to keep looking. I posted here wondering if my suspicions were justified. Seems like they might be. It is a nice looking setup though. Oh well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah somethings not right. Price is way too low with those mods. How many miles? I would be very suspicious of this one.

well mods dont actually add to dealer pricing..

what does get me though here is that its an 2010 model.. and if someone put all that money into it to sell it?

the SC is the only big red flag on that, that really got my attention

·
Registered
39 Posts
This same rig was mentioned on another forum. I'll advise here what I did there. A stock 2012 Rubicon can be bought between $30,000 to $40,000. It would do all that you want, and makes a good starting point for future mods. Plus you get the 285hp VVT engine. IMHO, that is the way for you to go.

Ed

·
Registered
134 Posts
well mods dont actually add to dealer pricing..

what does get me though here is that its an 2010 model.. and if someone put all that money into it to sell it?

the SC is the only big red flag on that, that really got my attention
A stock used 2010 jkur lists for right around $26,000. There is about $10,000 in mods on there, and if the mileage is right its not a lot. There is no way any dealer isnt going to bump the price to $30,000 and get it. So either there is something wrong with it, and or it was wheeled regularly and is beat to hell. Something doesnt add up to me. Maybe it was a repo.
I agree with the SC too, I wouldnt buy a pre owned with one.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Go with your gut.

My gut says "no".

·
Registered
738 Posts
Half the fun of owning a Jeep is modding it yourself.

For that kind of money buy new, get a warranty and build it the way you want it.

Just my $0.02

·
Insert something witty...
596 Posts
My first thought was why are you not signing the papers, then my "If it's too good to be true, it usually is" logic kicked in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with whats posted above. I would look at the new jeeps with the pentastar, then build it yourself. Usually you can get a better interest rate on a new vehicle vs a used one as well. I originally went to the dealer to look at a used JK, drove the new one and its a huge difference, but really wasnt that big of a difference in price / payment. And I dont have to worry about who ragged it out before me. For me thats a huge concern especially with a modded jeep not under warranty any longer

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dont forget too that theres alot of people who are hurting for money. The 1st thing to go is the toys and for alot of us the jeep is a toy. Dont overlook one is all im saying. Im in the RV biz and there have been crazy deals on them for the last 3 yrs also! Gotta love this "Change"

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Sounds awesome, and could be a killer deal--the SC alone is $5k. And RIPP is the industry leader. I'd at least test drive it.

Just be aware that your manufacturer's drivetrain warranty (which was 5 years) is essentially gone on account of the SC, gears, lift, and big tires. The used dealer will probably give you a 30 day warranty backed by the dealer himself, but Chrysler is going to disavow any engine/drivetrain problems--ie, cracked headers, gasket problems, oil burning, transmission issues, etc.

So you really need to have it checked out BEFORE buying to make sure it doesn't have any significant mechanical problems. If it's in good shape though, I'd definitely consider it. I would do all of those same mods to my jeep, and you can't beat that price.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I personally wouldn't touch anything with an aftermarket blower (super charger), or turbo on it, unless I saw the receipts for a full engine balance and blueprinting. Stock engines are not made to handle the increased air and fuel volume.

As far as lift kits go, if it drives nice, that's an expensive option and probably worth the money. Check NADA for book values. Click consumer.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Even if all is kosher with the mods, is this really the right DD for your wife? It might be an offroad monster but the on road manners may not be what she wants. Or maybe not, I don't know anything about your wife.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Sounds awesome, and could be a killer deal--the SC alone is $5k. And RIPP is the industry leader. I'd at least test drive it.

Just be aware that your manufacturer's drivetrain warranty (which was 5 years) is essentially gone on account of the SC, gears, lift, and big tires. The used dealer will probably give you a 30 day warranty backed by the dealer himself, but Chrysler is going to disavow any engine/drivetrain problems--ie, cracked headers, gasket problems, oil burning, transmission issues, etc.

So you really need to have it checked out BEFORE buying to make sure it doesn't have any significant mechanical problems. If it's in good shape though, I'd definitely consider it. I would do all of those same mods to my jeep, and you can't beat that price.
I agree with the Ripp concerns and powertrain warranty. I know a shop owner who has blown a few 3.8's using the Ripp SC and he said that the 3.8 can't handle the boost if it's driven hard. Check out this article from Jp mag, his is the last JK. Also, look at his least favorite mod towards the end.
Jeep Wrangler JK Four-Way - Jp Magazine

I know that since this article he has changed out both axles, switched to coilovers and is running NOS on a stock 3.8.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's probably "cheap" due to the limited pool of potential buyers....Nobody wants to walk into someone else's headaches, warranty is shot, multiple mods etc etc. I could only imagine what the dealer paid for it! Just buy a new one that fits your budget and do your own mods. I'd never buy a modded Jeep and plan to transfer the bulk of my mods to my next jeep which will increase marketability and $ on the resale of my current JK and save on modding the next one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts