Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: new to jeeps, new to working on jeeps, not the most experienced with this stuff...

Just picked up a stock 2006 wrangler sport. It's got the 4.0 with a 6 speed. Pretty sure it's a Dana 35.

From what I've seen in my forum research so far...

1) 31" tires are the biggest I can run on the stock suspension with no rubbing.
2) metalcloak fenders will allow 35" tires with no lift and no rubbing
3) 35" tires would pretty much require a new rear axle, re-gearing, plus other mods

So, here's my question: could an '06 sport with a D35 run 33" tires with the metalcloak fenders and no lift without much trouble? I'm not doing any rock crawling. Mostly street use with some occasional light off-roading.

If there's something else I'm forgetting, please don't hesitate to choke in and let me know.

That's so much.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Since it is a Sport. That model had an option to get a D44 for the rear. But if it is a D35 and you only put 33's on it and be easy on the gas when off-roading than the D35 will be fine.

Here's a chart to compare your rear diff cover to see if it is a D35 or D44.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked under the jeep today. It appears to be the Dana 35. That would also mean is has the 3.07 gears, yes?

So, I could run up to 33" tires without regearing or a new rear end as long as I don't drive like an A-hole offroad?

Since its my DD right now I'm thinking I'll stick with 33's and the stock rear end/suspension. Then, once I pick up another DD, I can look at upgrading the tires, doing a rear end swap, regearing and maybe lifting if I choose...

Opinions?

·
Registered
948 Posts
According to JF spec thread you should have 3.73 if you have a 6 speed.

3.07 - 1997-2006
* Standard ratio used with 6 cyl models except the Rubicon

3.73 - 1998-2006
* Optional ratio used with 6 cyl manual and automatic except the Rubicon
* Standard ratio used with 6 cyl 4 speed auto
* Standard ratio used with most 4 cyl automatics
* Standard ratio used with 4 cyl 6 speed
* Standard ratio used with Dana 44 rear axle except the Rubicon

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is a 4.0L 6-cylinder. So, standard would be the 3.07 then, no?

I'll check to see if I can find a tag on the diff that says for sure...

·
Registered
948 Posts
Mine is a 4.0L 6-cylinder. So, standard would be the 3.07 then, no?

I'll check to see if I can find a tag on the diff that says for sure...
Wow sorry. Screwed up there. I thought that said 6cyl instead of 4cyl. :facepalm:

But yeah if you have a 6cyl 4.0 then your gears should be 3.07, but check your tab to know for sure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked under the rear to check the diff but didn't see anything. Granted, I didn't get under there really close. Would it be indicated anywhere else (like inside the door frame) or could I check the VIN number to see?

·
Registered
948 Posts
You can email Jeep and see if you can get a build sheet from them also. There are some vin decoders but I don't know that will tell you the gear ratio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts