Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to be purchasing a base model 2015 Wrangler Sport Unlimited in the next few days. I note that it does not have any side steps / running boards. I'll be using the vehicle for every day driving, hunting, fishing, and camping. I don't intend to be going aggressively off-roading, so I don't need something to ward off boulders. But my wife is handicapped and will need a step to get up into the Jeep. I'll likely be putting on some 285/75R16's or maybe 305's.

As this is my first Jeep, I have no idea what features I should look for, what I should avoid, and what brands / models would be good. I am on a reasonably tight budget (one of the reasons for getting the base model), so keeping the price down is certainly a priority. But I do want to balance price with value. I don't want to get something that's going to bend, break, rust out, or look awful in a short time.

I'll appreciate any experienced guidance you all can provide.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I posted this in another thread in the tech section.

I narrowed it down to 2 different steps/sliders when I was searching steps/sliders. I really liked the design and look of both these. They are more $$ then anything else out there but you get stronger better quality step then most others.
TNT Adventure sliders/steps
https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_part...k_rock_sliders

and
LOD Slider/steps
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/lod-frame-mounted-rock-sliders-texture-black-lod-srs-1002t.html

I decided to go with the TNT's, northridge4x4.com hooked me up with the JKU 4 door version in bare steel for $588 shipped.. PM then here on this site and ask them for a quote, mention this site for a good price I wanted them in bare steel so I can have them Line-X'd locally for about $200.
Good luck on what you decide to go with

·
Registered
410 Posts
There are a lot of decent, low cost options out there. Here's a recent thread discussing two of them.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/barricade-vs-ace-sliders-1012322.html

Also, you can likely find some Saraha OEM side steps on craigslist. These are plastic but pretty solid and would be fine what you described. I once picked some up for $100. Since you don't have anything on there currently, you'll just want to make sure it comes with the mounting hardware.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Where are you located at? I have a set of oem running boars off my 09 jku that are in pretty good shape I am looking to get ride of if you are interested

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
usmc2102, thank you for the offer, but I'm in Texas. I'm going to be up in Iowa City next week. But I'll be flying home, so that just won't work easily.

Thank all of you for the suggestions. And I will be checking out Craigslist before I go off and purchase elsewhere. I wouldn't have thought of going that route.

Thanks again,
Andrew

·
Registered
32 Posts
usmc2102, thank you for the offer, but I'm in Texas. I'm going to be up in Iowa City next week. But I'll be flying home, so that just won't work easily.

Thank all of you for the suggestions. And I will be checking out Craigslist before I go off and purchase elsewhere. I wouldn't have thought of going that route.

Thanks again,
Andrew
Yeah they wouldn't fit in the overhead very well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OEM can be had on Craigslist for $100 or so
x3

I picked up a pair last week for 50. Awesome Jeeper wanted to get rid of them. A few weeks ago one of the Forum members was getting rid of theirs for 60. If you troll around craigslist and the forums you'll find a pair pretty quick.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm going to interject a note of caution here. The oem (at least the version I put on my wife's jku) don't hang as low as most running boards you'd find on a pickup for example. They fit up pretty snug to the rockers & may not be low enough to be of much aid to your wife. If you look at Quadratec's website they have actual side steps that extend lower & may be more helpful for her. Something to consider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts