Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I intend to be purchasing a base model 2015 Wrangler Sport Unlimited. I will be changing the tires to something more like a 285 or 305. It's been suggested that I get something like the SuperChips FlashCal. I really don't understand much of what these devices do and are capable of doing.

I can understand re-calibrating the speedometer/odometer after changing tire sizes. But is there more to it than that? Are they changing timing, transmission shifting parameters, and such as well?

Can anyone point me to a relatively simple explanation on the advantages of these types of devices. Also, if I go this route then is the the SuperChips FlashCal the model I need or are there advantages to other manufacturers/models that I should consider?

This Jeep will be used for daily driving, hunting, and fishing. Sometimes I'll put a trailer with a mid-sized john boat.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Contorting Member
242 Posts
From what I know (I own the Flashcal) the Flashcal only reprograms your tire size to correct the speedometer and odometer.

The Flashpaq (not yet available for 2015 Wranglers) will alter shift points and give you the option to program for performance or improved mileage.

These units bind to the VIN of your Jeep and cannot be transferred to another Jeep unless you return the original VIN Jeep to factory settings.

·
Registered
508 Posts
^
Correct.
When the software becomes available, you should be able to update a Flashcal to a Flashpaq for the 2015.
I have a Flashpaq for my 2008 w/automatic, and have reprogrammed for tire size and run the 91 performance tune. Big improvement ! The engine is peppier and the trans shifts much better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry for what may be a dumb question but I'm pretty new to this Jeep thing. What's the difference between flashcal and flashpaq? And given the choice, what should I get? Or are they totally different? I have a '09 Rubicon Unlimited. Going to 33s on Monday but no other mods (yet)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts