Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and could'nt find the answer. Is it wise to disconnect the air bag when hitting the trails - bogs - rocks - etc?..... Learned the hard way to remove the trailor hitch ahead of time.....:D

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
No, there's really no reason to. If I have a passenger I might disengage my passenger air bag some times, but otherwise the jeep has a different type of air bag release mechanism. Most cars are in the bumpers with sensors. Jeeps have a type of inertia switch under the utility box. I've NEVER seen an air bag go off wheelin. Not even in a flop.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Nope, me either. I have never bothered to turn mine off either.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If you have an incident so severe offroad, you'd probably WANT the airbag to go off. Leave it on.

I flopped my TJ last August and it didn't go off. I ran into a tree at about 7mph and the airbag didn't go off.

I do believe that the TJ's airbag sensor takes into account speed, and I doubt the speeds obtained offroad (for MOST people) would be high enough to trigger the airbag in the event of a collision.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't know this as fact, but, rumor is that the airbag system is not active in 4lo ?? Can anyone substantiate this??

·
Registered
678 Posts
I pulled the fuses to turn mine off.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I can see there is a key or something right where the light is on my TJ that says air bag off in the corner in front of the shifter.. its got a cap over it

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
i have no idea.. Thats why i'm wondering how do you turn airbags off
What you are looking at down by your shifter is the passenger side air bag shut off. You just use your ignition key and when the light is lit then it's disengaged. Only way I know how to disengage the drivers side is to pull the fuses or take it out. However I still wouldn't suggest it. I've never seen one go off from wheeling.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I've never seen one go off from wheeling.
Lucky you. I've seen a person get in an accident where the air bag burns their facial and upper body skin and nearly blinds them because the air bag gases are so hot!!! To be exact that's my 6th grade teacher who now cant read book few inches away from her face with her left eye..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts