Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm only 18 and never really got the concept of some stuff.

What are the axles, lockers, and gears?
I know what the axles and gears are sort-of, but what is good about changing them? The locker I have no clue about...

I know their pretty stupid questions for most of you, but you have to be taught to learn :)

I bought my jeep, and It has the 350v8, so no clue what all was changed with it.

I was told it has Dana 44s in the rear, and I think a Dana 40 in the front.
I run 33x12.5 mud terrains.

The guy said their really good, but are they?

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
To answer another of your questions, you re-gear your differentials when you go to a bigger size tire. It brings the over all ratio back to where it should be. Bigger tires equal a need for lower (Higer numerically) gears. :cool:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol, thanks.

Also I read about the locking, just making sure this is the same thing...

Basically it just make it so both wheels are turning at the same speed and won't stop if one wheel is off the ground?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Pretty much. With open differentils, when one wheel is free - that wheel will spin and you will lose traction. The gears depend on the tire size. As you increase your tire size, you lose torque and power to your axles. People lower the axle gear rato (increase the number) to get back that torque. If you bought a Jeep with a 350 v8 or a GM 350 engine, you're getting more toque then the I6 Jeep engine so consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was told it has Dana 44s in the rear, and I think a Dana 40 in the front.
I run 33x12.5 mud terrains.

The guy said their really good, but are they?
A Dana 44 in the rear is good. BUT, the front Dana 40 axle doesn´t exist to my knowledge. If you take pics of the diff covers and put them up here I´m pretty sure we can identify your axles.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ekis said:
A Dana 44 in the rear is good. BUT, the front Dana 40 axle doesn´t exist to my knowledge. If you take pics of the diff covers and put them up here I´m pretty sure we can identify your axles.
Okay thanks I'll get pictures today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts