Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a new 2013 basic Sport and have a question about tires:
I will be using the Jeep mostly around town etc., but also on some gravel & loose rock fire roads (nothing more adventurous yet). It comes with the stock 16" steel wheels, but I see a lot of used rims & tires on sale localy. Will any of the larger Wrangler rims (17" & 18") fit my Jeep? What would be a good choice of tires for me that could also function as a winter tire? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Both the larger 17" and 18" stock wrangler wheels will fit perfectly. As for tires for winter conditions: duratracs, blizzaks, and silent armors all have good reputations.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
They will all fit. 255/75/17(sport and rubicon) and 255/70/18 (sahara)
That tire change will mean you need to buy TPMS (tire) sensors as Jeep unfortunately changed the frequency for the 2013 model year. You will also need to recalibrate the speedo, so a Procal for 2013 ($150) will take care of that.

You could move the sensors over to the new tires, but why bother when you can get a set for $50?

4 New Chrysler Dodge Jeep TPMS 56029398AB 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors | eBay

Or you could disable the TPMS.

Takeoffs are hands down the best deal with 17" SR-As and Bridgestones going for $400/set and Rubicon's going $800-$1100 set mounted and balanced.

I bought a set of 5 Saharas (3000 miles) for $250 last weekend. Decent summer tire, not so good in the winter (Duratracs go on for that).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nitto Terra Grapplers are an all terrain tire that are supposed to have a good reputation for winter driving. Not the cheapest tire on the market, but you definitely get what you pay for. I have a set on my JK Unlimited and love them. I haven't had a chance to test them in the snow though because we haven't got any yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the info. This is super, I can have a full set of summer and winter/off road tires for not much $$. Is there any benefit for me to get bigger than 16" wheels?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Mikulas said:
Awesome, thanks for the info. This is super, I can have a full set of summer and winter/off road tires for not much $$. Is there any benefit for me to get bigger than 16" wheels?
They are slightly easier to balance and they corner a bit easier with less tire roll, but that's it. I'd definitely go with a 16" rim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts