Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to install an aftermarket stereo into my 98' Wrangler, a task like this is daunting to me, as I lack the "know," but am trying to gain it. I've been reading TheTJRod's sticky on it, and I'm a little confused at some parts.

This picture shows the back of my stock stereo. Now, I have bought a wiring harness, but I fail to see how it matches up with my new headunit. The radio wire harness that I have is way more cluttered than the one in the stickies picture (It's possible I have the wrong harness.)

I know nothing about electronics, but it seems to me that all the wires should match up (yeah right.)

Anybody able to send me in the right direction

This second picture here is a picture of my wiring harness in the very back, my stock stereo hanging out in the middle, and then my new stereo closest to you. Sorry it's a bit blurry, camera phone, in an underground parking garage, where I was trying to work in the light because it was dark outside!

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
This might help. seems like good info, might be too much for what your looking for:
Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Upgrading the factory sound system

If memory serves me right, when I took out my stock radio there should have been two plugs you removed for the speaker wires, the antena, and a ground wire.

Pic 1 should be what the addapter looks like.
Pic 2 in a blank that comes with the radio, you have to splice it in.
Pic 3 is an example of the different cars factory hookups that can be used with the same after market radio.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
PS. I can't see your pics at work, and don't worry that it says for a grand cherokee, it should be similar

·
Registered
246 Posts
dont forget to connect white/blue to BLUE, i have to take mine out again because my factory sub has no power FML!

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
If you have the proper harness you won't have to do any cutting/splicing, it will be just plug and play. Any place that sells and installs car audio including Future Shop will be able to sell you the proper harness

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
In your second picture, the harness with loose wires on the end that is connected to your NEW radio needs to be connected to the wiring harness 'adapter' that you are holding in the pic above the air vents. You need to match the color wires from each harness and crimp them together using butt splices. These will be your speaker wires (+/- for left and right, front and rear speakers), ground, and power.
The black and grey plugs that are currently connected to the back of the STOCK radio plug into the black and grey female plugs on the wiring harness adapter.

The wiring harness adapter just bridges the factory radio plugs (black and grey) with the wiring harness specific to your new aftermarket radio.

Judging the harness by your picture, it has three plugs...two grey and one black (this is the same harness I have). The larger grey plug will not be used.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it all worked out, thanks everybody for your help!

That was a lot easier than I thought, it's just so daunting looking at it and having no clue how to start, and then realizing that you just need to take a step back. Speakers and head unit are my first personal "upgrade" to the Wrangler, I plan on tackling an oil change tomorrow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts