Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Does anyone have a photo of how much a Mickey Thompson Classic II wheel with 32x11.5r15 tyre hangs out a stock fender flare? Trying to decide between 32x11.5r15 or 265/75r16 and the wheel backspace is different. Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Not a 32" tire. These are 33x12.5. The backspace on MT Classic IIs are stupid small so they stick out quite a bit.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Choice is a bit limited over here (UK). I think TJ's over here got the wider Sahara/Rubicon flares, but the MT 15" only has about 3.3" of BS. The 16" has about 4.5". I'll upgrade the flares if I have to, but you know how it is with budget! Legally the tyre shouldn't hang out past the flare over here, so I'm just weighing up the options, so any photos for comparison really help. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
DavidW954 said:
Thanks for the reply. Choice is a bit limited over here (UK). I think TJ's over here got the wider Sahara/Rubicon flares, but the MT 15" only has about 3.3" of BS. The 16" has about 4.5". I'll upgrade the flares if I have to, but you know how it is with budget! Legally the tyre shouldn't hang out past the flare over here, so I'm just weighing up the options, so any photos for comparison really help. Thanks again.
I'd double check the backspacing on your 15" wheels, I've never seen one with 3.3" bs. Mine have 3.75" bs and seem to stick out pretty far.

I think you're right about the flares though, I'm pretty sure EU models got wider flares. I don't have any pictures from the side, but my friend has 32x11.5x15 KM2s on what I think is a 4"bs (it might be 3.75") wheel, and it is barely under the flare here. I would guess it would be fine on the EU spec model though.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I'd double check the backspacing on your 15" wheels, I've never seen one with 3.3" bs. Mine have 3.75" bs and seem to stick out pretty far.

I think you're right about the flares though, I'm pretty sure EU models got wider flares. I don't have any pictures from the side, but my friend has 32x11.5x15 KM2s on what I think is a 4"bs (it might be 3.75") wheel, and it is barely under the flare here. I would guess it would be fine on the EU spec model though.
MT Classic II has 3-5/8" backspacing. I regret getting them but get nothing but comments on them. Mine now have custom machined lip from rocks. The aluminum is too soft for my application.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
MT Classic II has 3-5/8" backspacing.
Yours is a 15x8 with 3 5/8" BS? You sure about that? When I was looking at 15x8 MT Classic II wheels years ago, they only had something like 3 1/8" backspacing or close to that. That was why I didn't buy them.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
That's what their website says.
That's great news if they finally increased the amount of backspacing. I used to make it a point to good-naturedly gripe at the Micky Thompson wheel guys about their lack of backspacing on their 15x8 Classic II wheels at all the big 4x4 shows. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
That's great news if they finally increased the amount of backspacing. I used to make it a point to good-naturedly gripe at the Micky Thompson wheel guys about their lack of backspacing on their 15x8 Classic II wheels at all the big 4x4 shows. :)
Sorry, I just edited my post when I re-read it.

The 16" wheel has 4 7/16" and the 15x8 has 3 5/16" hence my question about how much hangs out the fender as I have a choice to make. :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
I personally would not run a wheel with that little amount of backspacing, it will protrude out an amount I would not want. The least amount I'll run is 3.75 but I prefer 4" to 4.5" for larger tires. For an 11.5" wide tire, I'd try to find wheels with as close to 4.5" of backspacing as possible.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do prefer the look of the 15" wheel / 32" tyre combo, but I'm leaning towards the 265/75 on 16" for practical reasons. Availability of hi-flotation size tyres is a bit of an issue here too since they banned the HA oils. The 265/75 size is much more popular.

Should I care about the weight of the wheel/tyre? Seems to be quite a big difference (16" tyre is much heavier).

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I personally would not run a wheel with that little amount of backspacing, it will protrude out an amount I would not want. The least amount I'll run is 3.75 but I prefer 4" to 4.5" for larger tires. For an 11.5" wide tire, I'd try to find wheels with as close to 4.5" of backspacing as possible.
Me neither anymore. I got that 3-5/8" measurement today from 4wheelparts.com, but I could have sworn when I got them they were 3-3/16" or something like that. Either way, they stick out too much. I'll replace them with beadlocks one day now that my Jeep is becoming more of a trail rig for me. Dang those things are pricey though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts