Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides having to do the electrical, is it easy to install a hitch on a 2013 jk? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was wondering the same. I need a hitch for my 2010 Mountain

·
Registered
453 Posts
The installation of the hitch is just 4 bolts that go into the frame. It might be hard to get y our tools / hands underneath to properly tighten them. The wiring is plug/play. Just remove the 2 screws on the driver side tail lights. Remove the whole tail-light assembly, it is still connected to the wires so be careful when yanking. Then just disconnects the wires. At the right / corner you will see a whole or its covered in a "foam" material. Just lift the foam up and slide the trailer wire through and re-connect with the trailer harness etc..

This is the rugged ridge for ONLY $46.00 at Amazon [hitch/wires]

Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 11580.51 Black Receiver Hitch Kit with Wiring Harness: Automotive

Thats the one I used , very good quality, etc...

·
Registered
392 Posts
The hitch I bought didn't have the nuts welded to it. I used some black tape to hold them in place until I got the bolts started. No way my hand was gonna make it up there to hold them.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
The hitch I bought didn't have the nuts welded to it. I used some black tape to hold them in place until I got the bolts started. No way my hand was gonna make it up there to hold them.
Two words: crazy glue.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Besides having to do the electrical, is it easy to install a hitch on a 2013 jk? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance.
Believe it or not, the electrical part is even easier than installing the hitch. They make a kit with a dual plug. Unplug your driver side rear light and plug it into the wiring harness and plug that back into the Jeep. It will take you longer to unscrew the 4 screws holding your light.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Download the instructions from Q-tec...then laugh at your own question.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Think really hard about this:

Brake controller & electric trailer brakes.

If your trailer is equipped, wiring up the controller is not that tough.

Shutting down with a loaded trailer at speed can be unnerving without trailer brakes. Hydraulic brakes (inertial) work but you do not have the ability to activate the trailer brakes and straighten out without applying the vehicle brakes. The trailer could still come around on you at hard decel.

Your stopping distance will actually be reduced with a moderate load if you are running electric brakes.

·
Ugly Supporting Member
1,546 Posts
When I got my 2010 Wrangler I stopped by the local U-Haul place since they install hitches. The quote was $300 installed. When I saw the picture of the hitch on Quadratech I knew that this was a stupid high price and I ordered the hitch. 30 minute job.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Jeep wants $400 for the factory installed hitch and wiring. Made sure jeep I bought didn't have a hitch so I didn't waste the money. Picked the hitch up for $50 from a forum member and purchased the harness for $30.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Related to this question, have any of you used the Reese Adjustable Ball mount, and if so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I need a harness. I picked up an OEM used hitch. Does the max tow come with the 4-pin or 7-pin? I think 4-pin, right? Either way, I need the harness next.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I grabbed an OEM hitch off a club member for $50, the very next day at a club meeting 4 wheel parts shows up and gives 4 away....

I used a $12 universal wiring from autozone. all the wires you need can be accessed under the lip on the left side of the rear corner inside the jeep, just under the carpet. where the hardtop water and electrical disconnect is.

I ran the wiring underneath the plastic, down to the little cubby that the jack slides into, and the plug comes out the drain hole. just pull it back through and leave it in the jack cubby when not in use. my 6" drop hitch fits in that cubby as well once you remove the jack.

I was hoping I didnt have issues with the computer, thought it would give me the "BLINKER OUT" light because of a different load. turns out a higher load is ok. works just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Think really hard about this:

Brake controller & electric trailer brakes.

If your trailer is equipped, wiring up the controller is not that tough.

Shutting down with a loaded trailer at speed can be unnerving without trailer brakes. Hydraulic brakes (inertial) work but you do not have the ability to activate the trailer brakes and straighten out without applying the vehicle brakes. The trailer could still come around on you at hard decel.

Your stopping distance will actually be reduced with a moderate load if you are running electric brakes.
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Where does the controller connect?

Thx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts