Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup all,

I have a 2016 Sports S (17" rims) with the 2 inch mopar lift installed.
Unfortunately for me my gearing is 3.21, although I do have the manual tranny. Also, not sure if it would make a difference but I also installed the 75th anniversary bumpers (same as the rubicon 10/A ones) and do plan on installing a winch. Eventually.

I'm thinking about getting some new tires but i'm a bit limited by my setup. I'd like to get 33's but it seems like the stock tires I have are already 33's (32.1") and most 33's are the same size. I'm also worried about the stock tire carrier.

I guess my question is, what tires will fit/are worth getting/ won't kill me either from the tire carrier, my gearing or backspacing on my rims?

I do plan on regearing and upgrading the tire carrier one day, but the jeep is only about 7 months young.

I know this is kind of a lot of info but hopefully someone with more knowledge than me could help me out.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Numerous thread on the forum. But in our case and once we acquire the wrangler, We plan on inspecting the coils just to verify what we have.. if it is determined that the coils need to be taken to the next level or so, We'll address this the funds have been acquired.

Our objective is to boost the jeep no more than 1'' 3/4 inches or slightly more again using only Mopar coils and shocks. The lift should allow us with plenty of clearance to mount Duratrac LT285/70R17 on MOAB 17'' wheels which actually measure 32.7. No spacers etc. Even without the boost, the 33's would fit in snuggly enough. Also having the 3.73 gears would allow us a few more options if we decide to up the tires and bit more. But I doubt this will happen.

Till that time, we'll run the hell out of the stock steels (cheapest option at the time) and work on those other small upgrades. So to answer you, the tires would be fine, but you may need to focus on the gears at any point afterward, just to give yourself a bit more breathing room.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Numerous thread on the forum. But in our case and once we acquire the wrangler, We plan on inspecting the coils just to verify what we have.. if it is determined that the coils need to be taken to the next level or so, We'll address this the funds have been acquired.

Our objective is to boost the jeep no more than 1'' 3/4 inches or slightly more again using only Mopar coils and shocks. The lift should allow us with plenty of clearance to mount Duratrac LT285/70R17 on MOAB 17'' wheels which actually measure 32.7. No spacers etc. Even without the boost, the 33's would fit in snuggly enough. Also having the 3.73 gears would allow us a few more options if we decide to up the tires and bit more. But I doubt this will happen.

Till that time, we'll run the hell out of the stock steels (cheapest option at the time) and work on those other small upgrades. So to answer you, the tires would be fine, but you may need to focus on the gears at any point afterward, just to give yourself a bit more breathing room.
uhhh... Are you responding to my thread or another?

A tad confused

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sup all,

I have a 2016 Sports S (17" rims) with the 2 inch mopar lift installed.
Unfortunately for me my gearing is 3.21, although I do have the manual tranny. Also, not sure if it would make a difference but I also installed the 75th anniversary bumpers (same as the rubicon 10/A ones) and do plan on installing a winch. Eventually.

I'm thinking about getting some new tires but i'm a bit limited by my setup. I'd like to get 33's but it seems like the stock tires I have are already 33's (32.1") and most 33's are the same size. I'm also worried about the stock tire carrier.

I guess my question is, what tires will fit/are worth getting/ won't kill me either from the tire carrier, my gearing or backspacing on my rims?

I do plan on regearing and upgrading the tire carrier one day, but the jeep is only about 7 months young.

I know this is kind of a lot of info but hopefully someone with more knowledge than me could help me out.

Simple short answer would be 275/70/17. That will guarantee you to not have to run spacers or upgraded the tire carrier. You could run 285/70/17, but some tires may run larger and thus will rub at full turn of the wheel. Others have reported using 285's without a problem, others have had rubbing issues. If you are a daily driver or 90% on road, stick with an all terrain tire instead of a mud terrain.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simple short answer would be 275/70/17. That will guarantee you to not have to run spacers or upgraded the tire carrier. You could run 285/70/17, but some tires may run larger and thus will rub at full turn of the wheel. Others have reported using 285's without a problem, others have had rubbing issues. If you are a daily driver or 90% on road, stick with an all terrain tire instead of a mud terrain.
Yah I was probably going to go with an all terrain as a mud tire is way overkill. I do drive on the highway as well, and it is my dd.

Looking at the BF goodrich all terrains in both sizes,

275 ( https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&partnum=77R7KO2RWL)

285 (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&partnum=87R7KO2RWL)

the 275 is 32.2 inches and the 285 is 32.7 inches.

If I wanted to do some light to moderate wheeling would the 275 be a better choice? Just seems strange to me that it is the same size are my current tire

I guess not.. If the context of my comment was misunderstood.. Perhaps someone else will speak up here. -Out
I just don't think I followed you. You said I'd be fine with the tire but I never mentioned any tire before. aWere you referring to the duratracs you mentioned?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
When I first got the BFG KO2 in 34x10.5x17, only mod I had was flat flares. They rubbed the sway bar when offroading(added 1.5" spidertax spacers). After a 2" lift, they rubbed the front air dam(easy fix, just removed it!).
Every Jeep is different, no matter how much bigger you go, you may need to compensate somewhere.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I first got the BFG KO2 in 34x10.5x17, only mod I had was flat flares. They rubbed the sway bar when offroading(added 1.5" spidertax spacers). After a 2" lift, they rubbed the front air dam(easy fix, just removed it!).
Every Jeep is different, no matter how much bigger you go, you may need to compensate somewhere.
You rubbed even with the spacers? And I shouldn't have the issue rubbing the air dam as it was replaced with the skid plate that comes with the 75th anniversary bumper.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the 275 is 32.2 inches and the 285 is 32.7 inches.

BFGs KO2s tend to run small. From what I've researched on these forums, some people rub w/ KO2 285s, some don't. 275s will be perfect for light wheeling if you have no intention of upgrading your suspension. Although I would recommend a leveling kit in the future since you are adding a lot of weight to your front end (steel bumper + winch) and thus your front end will sag a lot more than your rear end. This will give you a more balanced "stance" instead of a nose dive appearance without doing a complete suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
-33" Pro-Comp A/T
-16" Pro-Comp 7031

that's what I had with the exact same jeep you have. had rugged ridge plastic flares. hated 3.21. didn't put tire on the rear, I ran it with a custom cover plate I made. didn't want to risk bending the door or hinges.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BFGs KO2s tend to run small. From what I've researched on these forums, some people rub w/ KO2 285s, some don't. 275s will be perfect for light wheeling if you have no intention of upgrading your suspension. Although I would recommend a leveling kit in the future since you are adding a lot of weight to your front end (steel bumper + winch) and thus your front end will sag a lot more than your rear end. This will give you a more balanced "stance" instead of a nose dive appearance without doing a complete suspension upgrade.
Not sure I understand. Mopar 2" lift is a suspension lift.

Got myself new coils and shocks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not sure I understand. Mopar 2" lift is a suspension lift.

Got myself new coils and shocks.

Oh my bad totally skipped over the mopar 2 inch lift part. Otherwise, take a look at the mopar 2 inch lift thread for people's builds and how they look. There are also other threads with 285 vs 275 threads w/ pictures as well

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh my bad totally skipped over the mopar 2 inch lift part. Otherwise, take a look at the mopar 2 inch lift thread for people's builds and how they look. There are also other threads with 285 vs 275 threads w/ pictures as well
Yah I was in that thread doing research before I installed the lift :lmao:

I'm leaning towards the 285 I think...

Any opinions about rub on those? Where would I rub and how much?

·
Registered
267 Posts
285's with spacers won't rub lock to lock on the steering wheel. I have Falken 285/70/17 With after market wheels that make them stick out a bit and rub the rear fender when flexing, and when I had the air dam I rubbed a little when turning if flexed. VKS bumpers solved the air dam issue and Poison Spyder flares will solve the rubbing!

·
Registered
125 Posts
FWIW I have Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 no lift yet. No rubbing but I do have flat flares. 295/70/17

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just saw someone mention a website called tiresize.com that is really useful in seeing the size of different tires and how much larger one is then another in all dimensions.

The 285/70/17's are .6" taller, 1.2" wider and get 635 revolutions to the mile vs 648 for the stock 255/75/17's that I'm riding on. Seems like i'll ave to get some spacers for these tires? Hopefully I am understanding correctly. Anyone have any recommendation?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts