Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have been following the "High Lakes Run", we are all aware of recent events that have unfolded with the leader of this run, Gene. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his wife during some tough road ahead. I feel that Gene would still want us to get out there and show some NorCal strength and enjoy some offroad adventure! This run I propose is by no means a substitute for the High Lakes Run, but for those who would still like to get some wheel'n in next weekend, I propose this:

I would like to offer this run in lieu of the postponed High Lakes Run. For those who signed up for the High Lakes run, and anyone else who would like to join us, I invite you to join me for a day in the Mendocino National Forest via Indian Valley Resevoir and beyond!
Our day will start out meeting me at Walker Ridge Road off Hwy 20 heading towards Lake County. From there, we will take the dirt road to Indian Valley Resevoir campground. We will air down/disco at this point, use the provided restrooms at the campground, and then head around the resevoirs northeast side towards Bartlett Springs. Once we reach the north end of the resevoir, we stray from the forest service road up the mountain via a fire trail nicknamed "The Rock Garden". Difficulty from this point will be moderate. Stock rigs will be ok. Some minor pinstriping may occur, but most of the trails are clear. We will see some of the devestation of our recent fires from this summer along the way. We head north and work are way towards Elk Mt.
With the short notice, I will not have time for scouting, so some exploration will be the order of the day. A jeep buddy of mine who knows the area will be helping me lead the run. As usual, this is a "enter at your own risk" run, so if you're in for an adventure, this run is it. For those who would like to camp, there are campgrounds in the area where we will end up. I will try to provide info on this over the next few days as I check with the ranger station on restrictions and such.

List of those who show interest:

Rusty
Bobthetj03
JPetru82
MC06
titomars

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dug out some pics of a portion of the area I ran a couple years ago.

Here we are at the North end of Indian Valley Res boat ramp. As you can see, the water level was low that year.

While we were at the boat ramp, a couple guys came up to us to ask for help.

Of course we offered to help. They obviously got a little too close to the waters edge, thus burying their 4 runner to it's axles!

After our little rescue adventure, the offroading continued up the mountain on the fire trail nicknamed "The Rock Garden".

Some views of Indian Valley Res half way up the trail. you'll notice the trail on the bottem left of the pic.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Only 4 post come on guys. Lol

·
Registered
940 Posts
Sahara707 said:
What's up with Gene? If you can say. Local Petaluma Guy.
It's been better. Ask Jeff L. At work. It's been a long weekend and going to be a longer week.

·
Registered
735 Posts
bobthetj03 said:
What do you have to do, overhaul the jeep or something? :D
exactly. not much for the jeep, just little stuff here and there. have to do a little work on my CB. however, I have a lot of stuff at school to do this week. 3 tests, 2 papers, and some school specific stuff.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found a couple more pics of one of the fire trails we'll be going on, cept it may be a bit more muddy!

Oh, and BTW, my buddy Rusty, who will be leading, his jeep is pretty much stock with a 1" BL, 30" AT3 tires, and a Antirock, that's it. Let's just say he's not afraid to beat on his rig a bit, lol

·
Registered
735 Posts
bobthetj03 said:
Found a couple more pics of one of the fire trails we'll be going on, cept it may be a bit more muddy!

Oh, and BTW, my buddy Rusty, who will be leading, his jeep is pretty much stock with a 1" BL, 30" AT3 tires, and a Antirock, that's it. Let's just say he's not afraid to beat on his rig a bit, lol
looks fun to me!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
What's up with Gene? If you can say. Local Petaluma Guy.
Thanks for the PM. Ron if you can go on this one you should these guys are great to go with. We always have a great time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts