Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes my idle jump nothing to crazy just I think a little low when it idle this way.. Is that normal? Got 2 pics the darker one is normal idle n the other one is when it's idling low at random times but when it idles weird doesn't go any higher or lower then in these pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Once it's warm you should idle around 600-700rpm I think.

If it is fluctuating and your engine is warm you may want to check and clean the IAC valve. It is attached to the throttle body. Someone has a pic I'm sure to show you if you aren't sure which one it is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Possibly a dirty throttle body. Remove your intake from the throttle body, open the butterfly valve and look inside real good. If you see a dark coating on the inside of the throttle body this is probably your problem. I would suggest removing it from the jeep and, using a toothbrush and carb cleaner (don’t forget your safety glasses carb cleaner in the eye stings!), clean it.

I had this problem with my Toyota Camry and my brother in laws F-150. Tried allot of different fixes and in the end $5 and an hour fixed it right up, on both occasions.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yea clean throttle body first. You should be running around 700-800 rpms at idle.

To do a spot on awesome job remove the throttle body and clean the bottom as well as the top.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We had a similar issue. The idle was ramping up to over 2000 while warming up and was generally inconsistent. I did a quick clean on the IAC, but it didn't really help. I just replaced the TPS and it seems to have solved the problem (fingers crossed). If your problem persists, you may consider changing the TPS. Its a fairly cheap and very easy repair.

sm

·
Registered
892 Posts
No where and what does that look like?
its just on the throttle body. the two slots you see inside the throttle body is for idle control, which is a solenoid that controls air when the throttle body valve is closed.
you take the solenoid out, spray throttle body cleaner then use a toothbrush to brush the gunk off, dont drop it or twist the rod. also clean the inside of the housing especially around the hole where the rod goes into.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I gave it a try today and after about 10 mins driving started to idle low again. Think it's time for a new sensor I don't have any check engine lights or anything tho

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ok I gave it a try today and after about 10 mins driving started to idle low again. Think it's time for a new sensor I don't have any check engine lights or anything tho
Mine started about 2 months / around 600 miles before my engine light came on.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
does it do that when you turn off or on the heater?
Nope just does it at random when i stop. Does it here and there not like it does it all the time..doesn't feel like the car is going to shut off nothing..its not bad i just wanna catch it before it gets any worst you know.. pretty much been like that since i brought the car which was about 6 months ago and not even 4k i put on it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nope just does it at random when i stop. Does it here and there not like it does it all the time..doesn't feel like the car is going to shut off nothing..its not bad i just wanna catch it before it gets any worst you know.. pretty much been like that since i brought the car which was about 6 months ago and not even 4k i put on it.
its idling a bit low but not too much. Id check all the vacuum tubes for any kinda leaks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts