Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temp gauge in my years old Toyota Sequoia never moves, it's always in the "middle" no matter what we do driving wise. Same with my WRX speedster car, gauge always in middle.

Took our new jeep up an easy but mildly steep dirt road this weekend, I had it in 4 low and was going about 7mph. The temp gauge went from the middle to 3/4s and very hot air was coming from engine compartment, this was only about 5-minutes into the trip. I took it out of low as soon as I got to a flat spot, in 4 high the gauge went back to the middle.

Normal?

·
Registered
492 Posts
What does the EVIC say? Mine runs between 195 and 218 when wheeling....usually when I am stopped and sitting does it creep up. Once rolling again it will go back down. Do you hear the fan cycle on?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My flavor of JK lacks the temp readout on the EVIC so I don't know. That would be nice.

Pretty sure the fan was going strong when we were driving.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Modern needle temp gauges are designed to be in middle as long as the engine is operating in a normal operating range. They are built on the principle that all you need to know is if it running outside of that range.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,010 Posts
Mine has never gone past the center mark. In hot as hell Phoenix AZ.
That includes rock crawling up in our mountain area's in mid-summer.
But when off road, I always leave my A/C on. With your A/C on, your engine cooling fan will run continuously. If not, your thermostatically controlled fan, won't come on until approx. 226 degree's.
Also if you are going to idle it for a extended period of time, then leave your A/C on. If not, your radiator is not receiving any CFM air flow, and your temperature will rise until the fan kicks on.

The optimum would be, to have a manual switch to turn on the cooling fan, with the A/C off. That way you wouldn't be adding the A/C condenser heat to the mix. But this option is not available from the factory. But it could be added on aftermarket.

Also make sure that your coolant level is maintained per your owners manual!!!!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I don't have the EVIC in mine either. If you'd like to be able to keep an eye on the temps, download the "Torque" app and buy a bluetooth OBD II port scanner. I found out that the trans temp is reading from the wrong place and is not accurate but everything else seems spot on. This is the scanner for android and its the one I bought, they make them for Apple phones too. The app is like $5 and the scanner is $12. So for less than $20 you can keep an eye on things.

http://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-TORQUE-ANDROID/dp/B00AAOOQJC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts