Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the average temperature you are running at Idle mine is a 1990 4.2. I run 195 as long as I am moving but as soon as I stop it jumps a little above 210.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
190-210 is normal and optimal operating temp... anything above, say 220 and I'd look into flushing to coolant system and replacing the thermostat(with 195 degree) and inspecting the water pump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
my YJ runs at about 150-160 all the time. Should it run at a higher temp than that? I drained and replaced the coolant and replaced the thermostat with a new 195 when i first got it cause it was used and i didnt know what kind of maint had been done on it when i got it. it was jumping around 195-220 before goin up and down alot while driving before. it stays at a consistant temp now after warmup. would it be better for it to run a little warmer than it is? Seems to run fine to me.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
If thats "Normal" for yours then I wouldn't worry. Every once in a while I hear about some running a little cooler than "normal".

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Sounds right.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts