Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished installing a 4.56 gear swap with front & rear TrueTrac's to my 2018 JK. D30 front & D44 rear.

After installation, I noticed when transfer case is placed in neutral, front wheels spin in the same direction while the rears spin opposite. This was tested alone. With another set of hands, One can grab the opposite front tire (with restriction) and they move independently.

Dropping it down on the ground, I took it for it's recommended 15 minute test run. On pavement, I could lock the steering wheel fully left and right without any wheel chatter. Front end feels a bit stiff but it could have to do with a need for an alignment.

I've read the Detroit manual:
https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@vehicle/documents/content/pct_1087652.pdf

Test setup functions properly for the rear D44. However is the D30 TrueTrac a unit with so called "pre-load". An excerpt from the manual:

For Truetrac models
built with pre-load, the
rotation will be restricted
(depending on model).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a trutrac in the front D30. When I first installed it the front felt a little sluggish but after a day or 2 I didn’t notice it it it went away.
It sounds like your gtg. You shouldn’t need an alignment after a regear.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Had one installed in my TJ, same thing happened. Never caused me issue and was told it was normal due to the preload, so I went with it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've been doing several 15-20 minute drives and checking differential cover temps with an IR gun. So far, rear has been 150-170 degF and front is around 110 degF. I take it these temps will settle a bit after break-in.

I did a late night boo-boo and need an alignment. I had to remove the front track bar and drag link in order to use a case spreader and pull the carrier. I tightened them while the jeep was still in the air....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts