Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip this summer from TX to AK and back. Maybe this does not really qualify as overlanding as most of the trip will be on pavement, it will certainly be an adventure. There will be some gravel/dirt on the trip, Top of the World Hwy, Haul Rd (Dalton) to the Arctic Circle, Denali Hwy, Hatcher Pass, Telegraph Creek in BC and maybe some others. Will be towing a 17' Casita with our 2017 Rubicon Recon and mostly camping at campgrounds in state, provincial and national parks or forests. Most of these have no hookups so we will be off the grid in a way. Have a Honda generator for power and battery charging, 25 gal onboard water, stove, fridge, water heater, bathroom w/shower, ect.. Have camped a lot in tents over the years but my days of sleeping on the ground and doing the inch worm crawl to get my pants on in the morning are pretty much done. Planning on a minimum of 2 months with no set schedule other than campground reservations at Denali Nat'l Park which are pretty much mandatory if you want to stay in the park. Also plan to visit Glacier, Yellowstone and Tetons on the way home.

·
Registered
127 Posts
VERY JEALOUS!!! Enjoy, sounds like a trip of a lifetime!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you thought about and looked into the legality of carrying a bear gun?

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,852 Posts
We are planning the same trip from LBK for 2021. Will have a 6'x12" overlanding teardrop, dogs, wife and me. I will probably do the trip to Anchorage by myself in 3 weeks, my wife will fly in and finish the trip with me. I work from home so I can travel longer. 8 weeks for us too.

Lubbock, Tx
Calgary, AB
Lake Louise/Banff, AB
Prince Rupert, BC
Ferry
Ketchikan, AK
Ferry
Anchorage, AK
Fairbanks, AK
Prudhoe Bay, AK

Return

Anchorage, AK
Ferry
Sitka, AK
Ferry
Vancouver, BC
Seattle, WA
Idaho Falls, ID
Moab, UT
Albuquerque, NM
Home

As for weapons, you have two choices when entering Canada both directions. In general, you can apply to bring a shotgun, rifle, etc for "hunting" purposes. No handguns. They can turn you down, but I have many times in the past going across both the Vancouver and Niagara Falls crossings. I am ALWAYS asked (registry shows up on their computer) where my X, Y and Z handguns that are registered are currently located AND am I 100% certain they are not in my possession.

https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/transporting-firearms/

Storage case, locked and weapon unloaded with ammo separate, locked. I will carry my Winchester 12g locked in one case and shells in an ammo can. NEVER take the gun out. Leave it put in your vehicle and they may ask to see it in which case they will remove it from your vehicle, in the case, and take it into the inspection station with or without you and your paperwork. I've found if you have a passport its easier to deal with guns vs having an ID and a birth certificate.

·
Super Moderator
22,545 Posts
Hunting riffles OK. No hand guns through Canada. They will confiscate and destroy. Also, If you have been convicted of a DUI or a felony in the US, you will not be allowed entry into Canada
i know on the DUI at least a person can go through proper steps and get a permit. Not sure of all the facts but I had a buddy who got a DUI in 1990 or so and has been up there several times. He had to apply and fill out some paper work not sure what all was involved.

·
Registered
830 Posts
i know on the DUI at least a person can go through proper steps and get a permit. Not sure of all the facts but I had a buddy who got a DUI in 1990 or so and has been up there several times. He had to apply and fill out some paper work not sure what all was involved.
I lived in Alaska for many years and traveled the Alaska Highway many times between California and Anchorage. I suggest anyone considering traveling through Canada do their homework before going to the border or you may be in for a rude awakening.

·
Super Moderator
22,545 Posts
I lived in Alaska for many years and traveled the Alaska Highway many times between California and Anchorage. I suggest anyone considering traveling through Canada do their homework before going to the border or you may be in for a rude awakening.
X2 and in plenty of time don't wait until the month before you are heading up.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm genuinely curious what your 17' trailer weighs. Especially with a full 25 gallon water tank and assorted gear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Silentfoe it weighs 3200lbs give or take a bit fully loaded, full water. Our extra gear- tables, grill, Clam Venture, chairs, cooler with snacks/drinks, tool box ect. are in the back of the Jeep. Total GCW with the wife and I in the Jeep about 8600lbs. The Recon tows with no problems, it is stock though, 4.10 gears/auto trans.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,852 Posts
DUI's and other history is taken on by a case by case basis. You can be denied once and then reapply and be accepted. Wife had a DUI at age 22. She applied for our trip next year and was accepted the first time. No criminal record since, business owner, ex military all helped.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it is beginning to look like our trip to Alaska and Canada may have to be postponed or cancelled due to coronavirus. The US/CAN border is closed, various businesses all over the country are being closed, camp grounds and other lodging closed, where is it going to end. Some areas supplies/groceries are limited, the logistics are beginning to look bad and probably going to get worse. I have several close relatives who are truckers. They are telling me about being refused entry at stops/delivery locations to use the restroom/showers or get a meal. Does not appear this is not very widespread yet and I hope it does not get that way. I know a bunch of truckers and they won't stand for it long. I can see them parking their rigs and going home, what would that do to the supply chain! Think store shelves are empty now, just wait.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts