Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
For The Horde!
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im about to be a new JKU owner in New England and was wondering if anyone has experienced problems regarding road salt or rust on their JKs?

I know that cars rust faster in the north due to all the salt we put on the roads in the winter, which leads are car resale values to be lower than in other states.

Is there anything you do to help prevent rust?

Also is there anything you wish you did to you JK when you first got it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

This is a question you should search as its been a hot topic recently. Fluid Film is a good starting point to search.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yes it will rust, but surface rust of your undercarriage is not really harmful just a bit unsightly. I have not heard of many body rust issues on the JK's which is great and the paint (at least on mine) is laid on surprisingly thick (compared to other new vehicles I have seen).

With that said coat the underside with fluid film about twice a year and that will really help with the surface rust. Keep a can of flat or semi gloss black spray paint around and you will be good to go.

Rust is an issue but don't let it bother you too much.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
There's a few "Tard's" that seem to drink a Kool-Aid called Fluid Film ( they pour the rest on their Jeeps) sounds nasty, supposed to smell like Wet Sheep Balls.... Try a "Search" lots been written :)

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Hey Im about to be a new JKU owner in New England and was wondering if anyone has experienced problems regarding road salt or rust on their JKs?

I know that cars rust faster in the north due to all the salt we put on the roads in the winter, which leads are car resale values to be lower than in other states.

Thanks,
I've only been using Fluid Film for a year but the results over last winter were undeniable. I would recommend it if you want to keep rust away through salty winters.

There's a few "Tard's" that seem to drink a Kool-Aid called Fluid Film ( they pour the rest on their Jeeps) sounds nasty, supposed to smell like Wet Sheep Balls.... Try a "Search" lots been written :)
I'm curious to see if you've used the product and had bad results, or just don't like it. I've only been using it for a year and it's worked great, but if there is something better out there I'm all ears!

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I've only been using Fluid Film for a year but the results over last winter were undeniable. I would recommend it if you want to keep rust away through salty winters.

I'm curious to see if you've used the product and had bad results, or just don't like it. I've only been using it for a year and it's worked great, but if there is something better out there I'm all ears!

-Ryan
Ryan - I am Crushed frankly, I thought I was more Famous than that :)

My Wife was right, It's ALL just my imagination. :redface:

·
Registered
10,183 Posts

Wash it often.

Get splash guards to prevent the sides getting blasted by the salt+sand.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hey Im about to be a new JKU owner in New England ...cars rust faster in the north due to all the salt we put on the roads in the winter, which leads are car resale values to be lower than in other states.

Lots of salt spread onto the roads where I live and the Wranglers get treated when they arrive in country. I have years of experience with both Waxoyl and Dinitrol (both excellent products) and judging by colour and consistency Waxoyl is what is possibly what is applied to the Wranglers here. I’ve found Dinitrol easier (less messy) to apply and a kit sufficient for the Wrangler costs about 100 US bucks here. As you will be applying to a new vehicle, it is a quick(ish) and simple process (wear a hat). A touch up would be recommended after about 5 seasons. Works a treat. Here is a video with step by step guidance for treatment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDl6CDjW0KI

I have treated both of my JUK's as soon as I got them home (partly because I am not a very trusting person) to make sure that all cavities were well filled.

However, to prevent the rust from attacking the body of your Jeep I would whole-heartedly recommend that you mount a set (yes, all four) of the Mopar splash guards; don’t worry, you can remove them in early Spring and remount late Fall - if you still want to after the first season (they hold up well against rocks, stumps, logs, snow drifts, etc.). I would also recommend that you wash the Jeep regularly during winter. Obviously, you will want to religiously apply a good quality hard wax late Spring and early Fall.

These steps/precautions should help greatly to keep your Wrangler free from rust.

Bonus Tip: spray the wheel wells, underside of fenders, and the ‘dirty side’ of the splash guards with WD-40 after each wash (when dried) during the winter. Yes, I know they are plastic but this will make accumulated ice simply fall off of its own accord (OK, maybe a ‘light’ kick on the splash guards occasionally).

Now, just for your own entertainment, read the posts which claim:

It is a Jeep; it is supposed to be dirty.
Splash guards are for sissies.
Splash guards will get ripped off on the trails.
Jeeps should only be washed by the rain.
Fluid Film will protect anything from everything; it smells good, lasts forever, contains traces of the water used to baptise Jesus, and each bottle has been personally blessed and approved of by both NASA and the Pope. Fluid Film. like DuraTrac tires, are made using advanced alien technologies reverse engineered at Area 51 in the late 70’s and are both nothing short of miraculous. :happyyes:

:hide:

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Every Product has its Fan Base..... whether that is based on Facts and Experience or Advertising and Hype, Who knows.

I certainly am not aware of any product that has sprung directly from Alien Technology or areas west of here but if there were I'd certainly give them a look and If the Aliens were from the N/E - I'd look hard at there rust proofing.

Almost every product has its proponents as well as detractors.
Plan and research accordingly.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Ryan - I am Crushed frankly, I thought I was more Famous than that :)

My Wife was right, It's ALL just my imagination. :redface:
My apologies! I must have still been sleeping and didn't pay attention to your user name :drinks:

-Ryan

·
Registered
213 Posts
Lots of salt spread onto the roads where I live and the Wranglers get treated when they arrive in country. I have years of experience with both Waxoyl and Dinitrol (both excellent products) and judging by colour and consistency Waxoyl is what is possibly what is applied to the Wranglers here. I’ve found Dinitrol easier (less messy) to apply and a kit sufficient for the Wrangler costs about 100 US bucks here. As you will be applying to a new vehicle, it is a quick(ish) and simple process (wear a hat). A touch up would be recommended after about 5 seasons. Works a treat. Here is a video with step by step guidance for treatment:

I have treated both of my JUK's as soon as I got them home (partly because I am not a very trusting person) to make sure that all cavities were well filled.

However, to prevent the rust from attacking the body of your Jeep I would whole-heartedly recommend that you mount a set (yes, all four) of the Mopar splash guards; don’t worry, you can remove them in early Spring and remount late Fall - if you still want to after the first season (they hold up well against rocks, stumps, logs, snow drifts, etc.). I would also recommend that you wash the Jeep regularly during winter. Obviously, you will want to religiously apply a good quality hard wax late Spring and early Fall.

These steps/precautions should help greatly to keep your Wrangler free from rust.

Bonus Tip: spray the wheel wells, underside of fenders, and the ‘dirty side’ of the splash guards with WD-40 after each wash (when dried) during the winter. Yes, I know they are plastic but this will make accumulated ice simply fall off of its own accord (OK, maybe a ‘light’ kick on the splash guards occasionally).

Now, just for your own entertainment, read the posts which claim:

It is a Jeep; it is supposed to be dirty.
Splash guards are for sissies.
Splash guards will get ripped off on the trails.
Jeeps should only be washed by the rain.
Fluid Film will protect anything from everything; it smells good, lasts forever, contains traces of the water used to baptise Jesus, and each bottle has been personally blessed and approved of by both NASA and the Pope. Fluid Film. like DuraTrac tires, are made using advanced alien technologies reverse engineered at Area 51 in the late 70’s and are both nothing short of miraculous. :happyyes:

:hide:
Holy hell that's a ton of work.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I’ve found Dinitrol easier (less messy) to apply and a kit sufficient for the Wrangler costs about 100 US bucks here. As you will be applying to a new vehicle, it is a quick(ish) and simple process (wear a hat). A touch up would be recommended after about 5 seasons. Works a treat. Here is a video with step by step guidance for treatment:

This is pretty similar to the treatment Tom Kewan of RustCoaters LLC in Eau Claire, WI offers for a rather handsome fee (most of which is attributed to labor, he says).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My solution was a bit extreme, but it worked.

I moved south! Around here if they threaten winter weather, the entire state shuts down.

Actually that isn't way I moved, but it was an added bonus. I couldn't wait to get out of the Construction State!

Exco

·
For The Horde!
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wonderful, Thanks a lot guys.
Especially That Jeep Guy, for the big chunk of info and video.

The thing with my jeep is that I will primarily be driving it in the winter as the rest of the year I travel for work. So Ill probably be doing 5,000 miles a year with 4,000 being on salty roads.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Wonderful, Thanks a lot guys.
Especially That Jeep Guy, for the big chunk of info and video.

The thing with my jeep is that I will primarily be driving it in the winter as the rest of the year I travel for work. So Ill probably be doing 5,000 miles a year with 4,000 being on salty roads.
Wash it often, at least once a week, I do multiple trips to the car wash in the winter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts