Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I had to expand my range a bit but at 6,280 miles of exploring there's still tons of roads that I haven't seen.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Nice! You have a link or anything to these? Would be awesome.
Thanks. At some point I'll post my tracks up on Google Maps as a download. The main point of my post is to let folks know that there's miles and years of exploration in the GWNF and Mongo. I have barely scratched the Jefferson NF.

My main exploration tools have been Nat Geo Trails Illustrated, Garmin BaseCamp and Google Earth.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had to expand my range a bit but at 6,280 miles of exploring there's still tons of roads that I haven't seen.
What is the trail you have marked from Peaks of Otter over towards Catawba?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Love this area to travel but just can't seem to get there often enough.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I think that was his way to Potts Mtn. that you see there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is an awesome thread. I have been on a couple trips in GWNF including Potts Mountain in Jefferson National Forest. Definitely will be exploring this area soon as my son is attending JMU and will give me a reason to make a weekend trip. Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
41 Posts
We would love to go there one weekend with other Jeepers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Hi everyone. I'm glad folks are finding this useful. It's been a great year of wheeling the GWNF, JNF and Monogahela. With the right maps and detailed planning there are some amazing multiday road trips that you can take. I'm at 8,500 miles and counting. Here are some pics for your enjoyment.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Sorry for the delay. We started the day doing Potts Mountain Jeep then took a convoluted route to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and dropped down on Big Levels. If I recall that was a 12 hour day getting home. There are some interesting forest roads intersecting the AT in that area. In 2014 we did a 22 hour road trip down there. Talk about grueling.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Are there any roads, paved or not that are open this time of year?

Wife wants to drive thru the mountains for the scenery. I was looking on Google Earth and saw Blue Ridge Parkway had (closed winters) after it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm glad folks are finding this useful. It's been a great year of wheeling the GWNF, JNF and Monogahela. With the right maps and detailed planning there are some amazing multiday road trips that you can take. I'm at 8,500 miles and counting. Here are some pics for your
Those look like some great trips Kawa, thanks for posting. Can you provide some details about location or which trails they're on? I am assuming the pic on the fallen tree was posing and you didn't actually drive over it.....

Thanks again.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Those look like some great trips Kawa, thanks for posting. Can you provide some details about location or which trails they're on? I am assuming the pic on the fallen tree was posing and you didn't actually drive over it.....

Thanks again.
That's a good idea. I'll post coordinates moving forward.

I did indeed get over that tree. I carry a chainsaw with me. I sawed what I needed to, made a small log ramp, then winched up over the top once my rear lower control arms hung up. I anchored the back side in to keep my rear passenger wheel from dropping over the side. Sort of sketchy for a bit. Probably took about 90 minutes to get over from start to finish. It was a very big blow down. The forest road is called Old Hwy 33. It's a short dirt road just on the uphill side of Hwy 33 just west of Harrisonburg once you get into the GWNF boundary. 38.550116, -79.067013

·
Registered
430 Posts
That's a good idea. I'll post coordinates moving forward.

I did indeed get over that tree. I carry a chainsaw with me. I sawed what I needed to, made a small log ramp, then winched up over the top once my rear lower control arms hung up. I anchored the back side in to keep my rear passenger wheel from dropping over the side. Sort of sketchy for a bit. Probably took about 90 minutes to get over from start to finish. It was a very big blow down. The forest road is called Old Hwy 33. It's a short dirt road just on the uphill side of Hwy 33 just west of Harrisonburg once you get into the GWNF boundary. 38.550116, -79.067013
Wow, that's an impressive feat. From that pic it looks like you would have smashed the entire underside. I'm not that hard core, and stick to the mild trails. Shoe Creek, Flag Pole and various fire road. May hit up Big Levels this year. I just watched your Potts Mountain video, pretty cool. Do you recall where the water crossings are?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Wow, that's an impressive feat. From that pic it looks like you would have smashed the entire underside. I'm not that hard core, and stick to the mild trails. Shoe Creek, Flag Pole and various fire road. May hit up Big Levels this year. I just watched your Potts Mountain video, pretty cool. Do you recall where the water crossings are?
I'm fully armored. Chaos Fab Shop in Winchester, VA keeps me up and running. Mild trails are excellent, too. I've built my jeep to both crawl and go fast. We've got 4 point harnesses and bump stops so that we can step up the pace when we feel like it.

I only recall one water cross at Potts. At the very beginning as you leave the trailhead.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
The Forest Service has created an internet portal for their geodata. What that means is you can download just about anything the Forest Service has mapped including legal forest roads. Their geodata is not in kml/gpx format so you'll have to learn advanced mapping software; e.g., ArcGIS, to make use of it but if you have the inclination and time you can plan some pretty cool trips.

Portal page: https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/
Extraction page: https://apps.fs.usda.gov/fsmapviewer/index.html?config=public-config/EDW_DataExtract_01.xml

101 - 120 of 142 Posts