Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Excellent thread, I just got my first jeep and hope to hit the trails in march when they open back up.
Thanks. Welcome to the wonderful world of wheeling. The majority of national forest roads don't close in the winter and it's been a very mild winter on top of that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Good to know.
I'll take a ride out to peters mill in the next week or 2.
Peters Mill is closed until late March. Also, it got regraded this year and is just another dirt road. Flagpole and the Long Run complex is open year round but bring another vehicle with you.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
Peters Mill is closed until late March. Also, it got regraded this year and is just another dirt road. Flagpole and the Long Run complex is open year round but bring another vehicle with you.
Jumping in.. good info kawa. Flagpole is a good run. Gonna try and hit up long run and others in the spring.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is Long Run the same thing as Dictum Ridge? Flagpole is fun, definitely wouldn't mind trying out some other trails close by if someone else were leading,

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
Is Long Run the same thing as Dictum Ridge? Flagpole is fun, definitely wouldn't mind trying out some other trails close by if someone else were leading,
Dictum and Long R. are different The rumor I had heard years ago was, The original Dictum got shut down (supposed motorcycle and 4 wheelers now) and there was something near it. And that is what people call it now. How true is the question.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dictum Ridge and Second Mountain comprise the Rocky Run atv trail. Like Peters Mill, you share the trail with the atv's and bike's. Both trails are out and back deals. They no longer connect and you can not go all the way to Rt 33 anymore. Well they do connect for atv's, but just a very narrow trail suitable only for atv's. Both these trails are located off of Long Run. At the same intersection is Vepco / Gauly Ridge road.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kawaa001, thanks for sharing the video and that was certainly a water crossing. I’m still learning wheeling spots here in VA so was that all public land you were on?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Dictum Ridge and Second Mountain comprise the Rocky Run atv trail. Like Peters Mill, you share the trail with the atv's and bike's. Both trails are out and back deals. They no longer connect and you can not go all the way to Rt 33 anymore. Well they do connect for atv's, but just a very narrow trail suitable only for atv's....
I've actually driven to the end of the road on Dictum Ridge and hiked down to find the famous steps that can still be seen on YouTube. Definitely harder than Flagpoles steps. I've also hiked the ATV trail connecting Dictum Ridge to Second Mountain. I started on the Dictum side and hiked down to the stream. I had to turn around because I ran out of time. Years ago a forest ranger told me that that the trail was too narrow for full size vehicles so of course I had to see for myself. Perhaps so for the Second Mountain side since I have yet to hike it but the only reason that the Dictum Ridge side is impassible is because they closed it and let about a dozen trees grow back making it too narrow for anything other than an ATV. I'm pretty certain that trail was built with a full size bulldozer and used to be open to vehicles. If anyone has additional information/history please post up.

It's a darn shame that in the entire GWNF we wheelers don't have anything like Potts Mountain Jeep trail. I've seen so many abandoned forest roads that have reverted to trail or back to nature. Some of these could be epic trail rides. I have this vision of a National Jeep Trail connecting the upper GWNF to Potts Mountain.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Thought I'd share my navigational set up. This was for an off-road rally we did down in KY so it's a bit overkill for forest road exploring.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Thanks. I stopped at REI today and grabbed those maps as well as a map by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club that the guy at REI said was better than the Nat Geo maps. Another friend with a 4Runner has decided to join us, so it should be a lot of fun. I'll let you know how it goes. I appreciate the work you put into this.
Sorry for the sporadic monitoring of this thread. Been out wheeling and shooting some races. I am a PATC member and have many of the PATC maps. The PATC maps are very detailed and they are my first choice when I'm hiking or mountain biking but they aren't too useful for wheeling exploring. They just don't cover a large enough area. The Nat Geo maps have a higher scale, show which forest roads are gated and are reasonably accurate.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Hi all. Throwing this event out here in case anyone is interested.
Announcing Wheelerman TSD Trophy Rally. October 13-14, 2018 Buffalo Gap Campground, Capon Bridge, WV.

A Time-Speed-Distance (TSD) rally with an overlanding flavor on the scenic backroads and dirt roads of WV and VA. Suitable for stock 4x4 vehicles. Trailer and RTT friendly! Designed to get you out on roads that you probably didn’t know existed and not tear up your rig in the process. Trophies and recognition for the winners.

Event capped at 15 two-vehicle teams who compete to see who has the best vehicle navigation, time keeping and planning skills. Basically, you follow a complex gps track and attempt to stay as close as possible to the master track speeds at all times. All speeds are at or below the posted speed limit of the road. Like golf, low score wins. Tread lightly principles are incorporated into the event. This is not a race in any shape, form or fashion.

For more information visit https://chaos.yapsody.com/event/index/266561/wheelerman-tsd-trophy-rally

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. Throwing this event out here in case anyone is interested.
Announcing Wheelerman TSD Trophy Rally. October 13-14, 2018 Buffalo Gap Campground, Capon Bridge, WV.

A Time-Speed-Distance (TSD) rally with an overlanding flavor on the scenic backroads and dirt roads of WV and VA. Suitable for stock 4x4 vehicles. Trailer and RTT friendly! Designed to get you out on roads that you probably didn’t know existed and not tear up your rig in the process. Trophies and recognition for the winners.

Event capped at 15 two-vehicle teams who compete to see who has the best vehicle navigation, time keeping and planning skills. Basically, you follow a complex gps track and attempt to stay as close as possible to the master track speeds at all times. All speeds are at or below the posted speed limit of the road. Like golf, low score wins. Tread lightly principles are incorporated into the event. This is not a race in any shape, form or fashion.

For more information visit https://chaos.yapsody.com/event/index/266561/wheelerman-tsd-trophy-rally
Hi: Don't know if you're still monitoring this posting. But I have gone to many/most of the same places described on this thread in a 4Runner trail version. And I'm wondering if there's a site where we could all share info and updates about new trails/recently visited, trail conditions, closures, etc., mostly GWNF. It seems that such a site would be valuable for everyone to share info, not to say you're not doing a good job here but I kind of stumbled on this thread, which is excellent BTW. I'm retired and my brother and I go out and explore trails a couple of times a month, usually mid-week, one vehicle, attempting to tread lightly. My biggest issue is no info on trail condition and I like a challenge, like going up Union Springs, not just driving gravel roads for hours, though any day in the forest is a good day. Although I use the MVUM and Nat Geo maps on Gaia GPS, we still run into numerous closed trails which aren't supposed to be closed, I've started calling the ranger district offices to verify that roads are open. Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
100,668 Posts
Hi: Don't know if you're still monitoring this posting. But I have gone to many/most of the same places described on this thread in a 4Runner trail version. And I'm wondering if there's a site where we could all share info and updates about new trails/recently visited, trail conditions, closures, etc., mostly GWNF. It seems that such a site would be valuable for everyone to share info, not to say you're not doing a good job here but I kind of stumbled on this thread, which is excellent BTW. I'm retired and my brother and I go out and explore trails a couple of times a month, usually mid-week, one vehicle, attempting to tread lightly. My biggest issue is no info on trail condition and I like a challenge, like going up Union Springs, not just driving gravel roads for hours, though any day in the forest is a good day. Although I use the MVUM and Nat Geo maps on Gaia GPS, we still run into numerous closed trails which aren't supposed to be closed, I've started calling the ranger district offices to verify that roads are open. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Greetings, JT4R. I'm the OP. I feel I've pretty much worked over most of the GWNF and parts of the Jefferson NF. Good stuff and lots of fun exploring. There's still some forest roads on my to-do list but about 2 years ago I switched over to WV abandoned county roads. They are still on the books as legal roads but not maintained anymore (except by maybe local SXSers). I've found the roads to be very interesting and some have been really dicey. WV Exploring. One road I had to winch uphill continuously for about a quarter mile.

Don't get me started on the Forest Service. I've got an active conversation with the Monongahela NF going on right now. The Forest Service hides behind the MVUM when it suits them but they don't follow their own rules when it gets in their way. They are supposed to announce closures but they don't always. I dislike that they feel they have to maintain every forest road to Subaru Outback standard. They ruined Flagpole. They ruined Long Run. Yeah, if you are counting on a particular road to be open, it's always a good idea to check the local ranger district. Message me if you'd like to talk more.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
Greetings, JT4R. I'm the OP. I feel I've pretty much worked over most of the GWNF and parts of the Jefferson NF. Good stuff and lots of fun exploring. There's still some forest roads on my to-do list but about 2 years ago I switched over to WV abandoned county roads. They are still on the books as legal roads but not maintained anymore (except by maybe local SXSers). I've found the roads to be very interesting and some have been really dicey. WV Exploring. One road I had to winch uphill continuously for about a quarter mile.

Don't get me started on the Forest Service. I've got an active conversation with the Monongahela NF going on right now. The Forest Service hides behind the MVUM when it suits them but they don't follow their own rules when it gets in their way. They are supposed to announce closures but they don't always. I dislike that they feel they have to maintain every forest road to Subaru Outback standard. They ruined Flagpole. They ruined Long Run. Yeah, if you are counting on a particular road to be open, it's always a good idea to check the local ranger district. Message me if you'd like to talk more.
Cool deal on the update.. been awhile since I've seen you post, Wasn't sure if you were still active here and still exploring.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

Would love to find trails like that and be able to camp out in remote places like that. I've been to Dolly Sods (part of Monongahela NF) back packing but havent explored it for jeep trails.
what is the MVUM?
if you ever need/want another jeeper to go with you hit me up.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts