Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be visiting the Harrisonburg area in a few weeks, and I'd like to bring a couple stock Wrangler JKU drivers on some beginner-level trails nearby. Looking to spend the day exploring, and enjoying views of the Shenandoahs. I have never off-roaded in Virginia, so am looking for some advice.

I have downloaded some maps with USFS road overlays from the GWNF North River Ranger District, and have a tentative route. Looking for a reality check here on difficulty level and estimated time for the following:

Harrisonburg - Skidmore Lake via SR 33 & Skidmore Fork;
Dunkle Hollow Road - Meadow Knob via FSR 85;
Flagpole Knob via FSR 85;
Reddish Knob via FSR 85;
Elkhorn Lake via FR 95;
Return to Harrisonburg

I'm also interested in a comparison of the area above with the Peters Mill Run trails. Any info from those with experience in this country is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I’m sure other’s will have better info, but from my experience you don’t even need 4WD for Peter’s Mill run.

Flagpole knob has some need for 4WD but I have done that with a basically stock wrangler. I seem to remember a bypass for anything deemed too difficult.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!
Hoping to find a route that requires 4WD, but nothing technical. I’d hate to pass a Prius out there! Both Jeeps have 3.73 gears with LSD, but no quick sway bar discos. One is completely stock with 32” highway tires, the other has a TF 1.5 leveling kit and 33s.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Reddish Knob via FSR 85;
The Reddish Knob trip
I’m sure other’s will have better info, but from my experience you don’t even need 4WD for Peter’s Mill run.

Flagpole knob has some need for 4WD but I have done that with a basically stock wrangler. I seem to remember a bypass for anything deemed too difficult.
Same for Reddish Knob, all paved road, but worth the trip to go there. It is one of the highest points in Virginia, rising 4,397 feet.

Go DUKES !!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't really know Elkhorn Lake, but you should be fine on the others. There are a few little side spots with some mud (maybe dust if we don't get any rain) but it is mostly well maintained fire road. Last time I was up there a local guy mentioned another trail that runs off the WVA end of FR85 that loops back around toward Staunton, but I ran out of time before I had a chance to go look for it. I enjoyed Peter's Mill, first trail my family did.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff!
What's a reasonable average speed on the fire roads? Trying to estimate my time investment.

·
Registered
151 Posts
5-10. A lot of pretty views, so we do a lot of low gear coasting. You can go faster. But what's the point. Tears up stuff and you'll lose some enjoyment. Flagpole knob all the way to Skidmore Lake takes a few hours. Reddish is just a few minutes each way on the paved road.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,776 Posts
PMR (Peters Mill Run) is a single road with two way traffic. Be mindful that you can have motorcycles, 4wheelers and SxS’s coming at you, at a high rate of speed.

That said, everyone (all motorized vehicles) play well together.

Don’t forget to get your day pass for the trail as well. $5. From a handful of stores that sell them.

·
Registered
22,776 Posts
Oh yeah... From what I hear, the mentioned Forest roads have been picking up steam with people getting back out to nature. Be mindful that the said trails could be very busy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PMR (Peters Mill Run) is a single road with two way traffic. Be mindful that you can have motorcycles, 4wheelers and SxS’s coming at you, at a high rate of speed.

That said, everyone (all motorized vehicles) play well together.

Don’t forget to get your day pass for the trail as well. $5. From a handful of stores that sell them.
Oh yeah... From what I hear, the mentioned Forest roads have been picking up steam with people getting back out to nature. Be mindful that the said trails could be very busy.
Thanks again for all the info! Really appreciate it!

·
Registered
22,776 Posts
Thanks again for all the info! Really appreciate it!
Yeah man. No problem.

Was getting ready to edit my PMR info.. if it has been dry out (rain free) for awhile, PMR will be dusty as all get out.

Side bar: post up when you plan on making it out to these. I’m sure you could drum up a few more people here looking to get out for the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts