Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
For you guys/gals that dare to let the stealership change your JL's oil (I don't)...

- If -, the stealership argues and says your JL takes 6 quarts of oil (it does not) you can hand them this info printed on a piece of paper and tell them to read carefully:

Excerpt from FCA press release when they first introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...

"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. *The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill *– resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Weight savings.....proving to be a nightmare of unintended consequences for FCA.

Funny how that works...I wish Jeep had just asked me first - I would have gladly dropped some lbs if I could have kept my original oil capacity, suspension parts and interior dimensions....just sayin'

----My Dealership took a fairly technical approach to the notification as is witnessed in the photo
IMG_20190927_123355.jpg

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Very old news, but thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The more important question is what did they do to the engine that required the change from 5w20 to 0w20 oil?
They changed some of the internals to reduce both friction and rotating mass. The compression ratio also changed, but I don't think that would affect the req oil weight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The more important question is what did they do to the engine that required the change from 5w20 to 0w20 oil?
Newer engines have much tighter fit-up between rotating parts than older designs; thus require a thinner oil to get into the tighter spacers. Also, and probably more important to the manufacturers, is that lighter oils are more energy efficient.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
If I were a betting man I'd wager that chasing the EPA diva is the motivation for most decisions FCA and all vehicle manufacturers make these days..

It's like they have Mommy issues and the EPA is handing out hugs.

·
Retired Moderator
100,487 Posts
I don't have a JL, but do plan on some day having one. Mine will have the 3.6.

One of my concerns her is the 1 qt. less oil, yes it's updated, but still same engine. So this tells me that the engine oil will run somewhat higher temp, and or possibly the TBN in the oil will break down faster, plus contamination.
So have they changed the recommended oil change interval, to be somewhat sooner, because of the oil capacity reduction?

@RubiconSS

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts

One of my concerns her is the 1 qt. less oil, yes it's updated, but still same engine. So this tells me that the engine oil will run somewhat higher temp, and or possibly the TBN in the oil will break down faster, plus contamination.
So have they changed the recommended oil change interval, to be somewhat sooner, because of the oil capacity reduction?

@RubiconSS
Good points. The goal so I was told was to lighten it up a bit. I don't know for certain if they changed the interval or not. If I had to guess I'd say they should have... The oil will get to operating temp a bit faster that's for sure. I do know for certain the engine will run on a 30 grade oil w/o issue. The 20 grade rating is for CAFE. All I did to find that out was to check the 2019 Wrangler oil spec in Germany. Mobil 1 shows there they recommend 5W30. The engine used in Wranglers sold in Germany is no different than the engine used in the US.

With regard to the dealer over filling the PUG upgrade engines, no surprise there either. One would hope the techs would know, but remember the OAT HOAT coolant screw ups? Nothing surprises me when it comes to having work done at a dealership or shop. As long as I am able I will continue to do my own work, and when I can't I'll make sure I hire someone who I'm certain knows what they're doing.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts

@RubiconSS
According to my trusty dash mounted computer owners manual complete with search function...they stick with defaulting to the oil change algorithm and accompanying "change your oil dummie" notification with the caveat of "under no circumstances go over 10k miles".

I still just adhere to my 5k interval. Always have.
I believe this Jeep runs cooler than my JKURHR did.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
Wait till the 0w15 hits the market soon . Manufacturers are testing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IIRC next in line is 0W8. 0W16 is currently being used.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just not have ran across any domestic ones in the 15w oils as in Jeep, Ford etc. . Keeps it running long term that’s all I care lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Likely nothing, but if it gets them 0.2mpg closer to their CAFE numbers, and the increased wear doesn't show until you're out of warranty...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I'll have to give my JK oil to my buddy; is the filter the same as the JK 3.6?

In regard to the JL and JK and their 3.6's.... they both use the same oil filter.

Curious... why would you give your "JK oil" to your buddy. The 5w20 you undoubtedly are running in the JK will be aok in the JL.

I have JK and JL in the family and we all use 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum, Full Synthetic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts