Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Chevy cavalier. 2.2

It's my neighbors. This has been kicking his but. It was over heating so he put in a new radiator(was leaking) a water pump, hoses and a thermostat. Still overheats. Says it seems the thermostat isn't opening. He tried 3 different thermostats.
Any idea what he should check?

He took the thermostat out and it runs fine without overheating.

Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Is the radiator fan belt or electric?
Insure it is working if electric.
On older cars, some of the stats worked liked Sh/t if it was pointed backwards. Insure its for the right temp.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Thermostats are NOTORIOUS for being bad out of the box. Place it in a pan of water and put it on the stove..... see if it opens when water boils.....if YES.... was probably installed upside down......it happens....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks. Will have him try that. I didn't know they were commonly bad out if the box. Would a more expensive one have better results?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Because he KNOWS..... he will get good answers.

Thermostats are MECHANICAL devices and subject to assembly issues. Better ones are more expensive just like almost ANY other such thing.

The fact that it runs without overheating WITHOUT IT could be leading to wrong temperature one , as well.

NOT having one installed can ALSO lead to overheating, but not inclined to get into that here.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
2002 Chevy cavalier. 2.2

He took the thermostat out and it runs fine without overheating.

Thanks.
Leave out the thermostat. It is not illegal. The thermostat tends to close, when the car is running warmer, to give the radiator time to cool the coolant. But, it doesn't really cool it that much, so the car tends to overheat. Without the thermostat, the coolant is being constantly cooled by the radiator, this is why it doesn't overheat without it. The reason for the thermostat is to allow the engine to warm up faster when it is completely cold. It might be good in snow type weather.

I found that my problem was my distributor timing. If the timing is slightly off, the car will run hot. I pulled out the thermostat, adjusted the timing, and my 1967 GTA Mustang ran cool even during 110 degree temperature with the AC on full. Note: I sold my restored 'Stang for a new TJ Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Leave out the thermostat. It is not illegal. The thermostat tends to close, when the car is running warmer, to give the radiator time to cool the coolant. But, it doesn't really cool it that much, so the car tends to overheat. Without the thermostat, the coolant is being constantly cooled by the radiator, this is why it doesn't overheat without it. The reason for the thermostat is to allow the engine to warm up faster when it is completely cold. It might be good in snow type weather.

I found that my problem was my distributor timing. If the timing is slightly off, the car will run hot. I pulled out the thermostat, adjusted the timing, and my 1967 GTA Mustang ran cool even during 110 degree temperature with the AC on full. Note: I sold my restored 'Stang for a new TJ Wrangler.
DO NOT leave the thermostat out in that car.Not only wont it go into closed loop you will wind up with a CHECK ENGINE light. And it will still overheat, coolant will move too fast thru the head wont oick up enough heat from the head causing it to crack.I have had a lot of experience with these motors and most of the time when they overheat its because of poor cooling system maintance.If a properly installed thermostat doesnt fix your problem then check for a blown head gasket ,cracked head or both.The aluminum heads on these are extremely fragile. Good Luck
PS: timing on that car is non-adjustable.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I like Jeeps. :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
And it will still overheat,
My bad, I thought he said that without the thermostat it didn't overheat.

Some people are saying that the problem may be a warped or cracked head. This is highly possible with aluminum heads. They are saying to check the coolant for oil floating in it. This is why no one likes aluminum engines, because they warp easily with heat. This was the problem with the DeLoren engine. If the heads are warped or cracked this would cause overheating. Maybe its time to ditch it for a Jeep.{Smile}

I remember another problem I had with my Mustang. My radiators seemed to go bad fast. Someone said to put an in-line filter in the radiator line. That filter filled up with metal deposits almost immediately, I dumped it at least twice in one month. It was translucent so, I could check it to see if it were full. But, I never had a radiator problem after that.

I would dump the coolant into a pan and check it for metal deposits and oil floating in it. If you have either, its not a good sign.

·
Administrator
30,779 Posts
Is anyone other than Crashzx6r offended by this thread?

Anyone?

No, I didn't think so.

Carry on Gentlemen.

Oh and if anyone does have a problem with it, you have the right to ignore it and keep your opinion to yourself.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Did I see that comin' or what! :rofl:

I still like Jeeps. :pop:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love my Jeeps and my neighbor loves his jeep! This is his daily driver and was just trying to get a little help for him before taking it to a shop. Sorry for posting in the wrong area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts