Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... I'm at a damn loss with this one.

2012 JK with the AEV 3.5" Dual Sport Lift
35 x 12.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizers

Clifford runs and rides perfectly fine. Doesn't pull to either side and has no bump steer. Right at about 45 mph the steering wheel starts to turn side to side roughly 3-5 degrees or so. The same motion that would happen during death wobble. Doesn't matter the road surface, acceleration or static speed, incline or decline.

The movement continues until just above 55 mph then stops.
- I've had a fresh alignment.
- Tires are all balanced.
- Lugs are all tight.
- No uneven wear on the tires.
- Lift components have less than 5000 miles on them.
- Jeep has been off the ground and all the ball joints seem tight and working right.

It's not detrimental to the driving. Just incredibly annoying driving through the city at 55 mph with a wobbly wheel. Let me know your thoughts on this one.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the rotation was done this weekend. The wobble effect is still there but not as severe. Doing a little more research on the site, Road Force balancing is suggested with 35 inch tires and above.

Looked through my data and found that Belle Tire did not RF balance. Spoke with them on Saturday and they will be completing a new RF balance free of charge. They said the tech should have suggested it at the time. I'll run by there some time this week to get them done. I'll report back if the wobble has gone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let us know.

Start with one side only and drive it. If the wobble goes away you know its that tire or wheel.

As you saw, the wobble was still there after the rotation. Good news is, the wobble is gone.

Last night I got all four tires RF Balanced. For giggles, I asked if I could watch how out of balance they were. One tire needed 2.25oz on the inside wheel. I asked if they would dismount and rotate the tire. They agreed, re balanced and it only needed .25oz on the inside.

Installed the wheels and I swear to god if I knew how; I could do needle point while making a cup of tea while driving. Smooth as glass.

Odd that in only roughly 200 miles the balance was that far off. I've never lost a weight before, but thats the only guess I have to what could've happened.

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts